Sick or eggbound hen?

May 9, 2020
Tampa, Florida
I just typed this up and it took me 25 minutes then it deleted

I have this spangled OEGB hen named Mustache Man (the name is a long story haha) but she had been broody for nearly a month and a half. The big chickens kept laying eggs on her until we put a tiny door there, so that's why it took so long for her to hatch them. I noticed that about a week into her being broody, her comb started looking floppy. Now it's been a couple of weeks since she finished hatching the last baby and she still hasn't laid an egg. The past 5 days she's appeared to have trouble laying an egg. She stands in the nest trying all day. Yesterday I gave her some tums for calcium and she tried to lay all day and night with no success. Every morning when everyone flies out the coop, she just walks up to me slowly as if she's asking for help. She's been eating drinking and doing normal chicken stuff, but isn't as active lately. She's happier in the coop with the babies, she eats and drinks more then pecks and digs in the dirt. But she just seems so hungry, she will stand and eat for 30 minutes straight. She's getting weaker and her face/comb/wattles are very white and pink. She went to bed about 6pm when bedtime is usually around 8pm. I was considering the eggbound-bath so she's in the house but I wanted to make sure she's eggbound first. She's been following me around the house and hopped in bed and went to sleep. I just want to find out whats wrong before I try a bunch of different things. I already tried feeling for an egg with a glove and there was nothing. Can someone please help? I am very worried about her 😓

Attachments

• 20210508_212630.jpg
    20210508_212630.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 8
Poop is ok.sh need electrolytes and prbodics.asap.and she needs a supplement it called calcium with vitamin d plus you can get it at Walmart Walgreens anywhere in the vitamin section. Check her wings make sure there's no parasites on her. You could see it in the back to the neck and her back feathers.

Poop is ok.sh need electrolytes and prbodics.asap.and she needs a supplement it called calcium with vitamin d plus you can get it at Walmart Walgreens anywhere in the vitamin section. Check her wings make sure there's no parasites on her. You could see it in the back to the neck and her back feathers.
oh okay, thank you. what electrolytes and probiotics can i give her? and how much of the supplement do i give her and how often? (she's a tiny bantam) I know all our chickens have mites but she doesn't have but a few. is a mite even a parasite or am I looking for other things?

I'm sorry for not getting back is was late and I wasn't able to answer you. If she has mites or any of your chickens they need to be treated as soon as possible they feed on their blood which can make them anemic they can get an infestation so it's important you get rid of them these are the probiotics and the calcium supplements I use The probiotic this is the brand and the electrolytes is the same brand I just don't have the electrolyte package on me now but they're usually together with the calcium supplements all you have to do is cut them in half get them in her beak and they usually just gobble it down with no problem.

Attachments

• 16205550761235555600855612787654.jpg
    16205550761235555600855612787654.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 16205551010735095441508769163864.jpg
    16205551010735095441508769163864.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 5
I'm sorry for not getting back is was late and I wasn't able to answer you. If she has mites or any of your chickens they need to be treated as soon as possible they feed on their blood which can make them anemic they can get an infestation so it's important you get rid of them these are the probiotics and the calcium supplements I use The probiotic this is the brand and the electrolytes is the same brand I just don't have the electrolyte package on me now but they're usually together with the calcium supplements all you have to do is cut them in half get them in her beak and they usually just gobble it down with no problem.

we have tried everything to treat them for mites but they just keep coming back worst and worst. I noticed our fluffier chickens have them worst, like the silkies and bearded ones. I don't know how to get rid of the mites for good, we used to get this expensive spray and drench the chickens in it (it killed mites and eggs instantly) but the mites always come back quickly, plus with covid going around we lost work and can't afford the spray anymore. we'll get the other stuff for her today tho, and do you know how to treat mites effectively? also with the supplements does she just take ½ a tablet a day? or do i break it in half and then give her both

Back
Top Bottom