Songster
6 Years
Jun 22, 2014
West palm beach florida
She’s not laying yet
She i has been very sluggish recently (very hot
Outside too 102 index)
No panting or open wings
Her tail is down and not waking much ...Watery Poop and drinking a lot of water. Eating treats and some crumbles she’s been inside for 3 hours or more and still not moving around much

Attachments

• 2C3EBCED-E037-40AB-9EED-9AF569597E3E.jpeg
    2C3EBCED-E037-40AB-9EED-9AF569597E3E.jpeg
    585.8 KB · Views: 13
The first thing to do if you even so much as suspect a chicken if suffering from the heat is to give her electrolytes with a bit of sugar and cool her down by placing cold compresses under her wings. Even if that isn't the issue, it's better safe than sorry.

Next, check her crop. is it full and hard or full and squishy? Or empty?

To verify whatever you find with the crop, check again forst thing in the morning before food and water are given.

She is very pale...have you checked her well for lice and or mites?
Yes I checked her first thing. She’s always been pale. She’s been inside for a long while and still not wanting to do much. Eating and drinking, more drinking than eating. pic of poo as requested. This was about 3 hours ago*

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 10
Have you thought about getting some poop tested for bacteria and parasites yet?

My dog vet will test poop if I bring it in on a dish. He does not see chickens.

It won't hurt to call around and ask.

Have you ever dewormed your flock?

Have you thought about getting some poop tested for bacteria and parasites yet?

My dog vet will test poop if I bring it in on a dish. He does not see chickens.

It won't hurt to call around and ask.

Have you ever dewormed your flock?
No I unfortunately have not dewormed or checked for bacteria
I have never seen anything in her poo. She did have coci about 5 months ago ish and was treated

I recently had a hen act a little stressed too. I am in a humid location and it has been pretty hot here to boot. My hen singled herself out a few times and I suspected she was the one who laid the soft shell egg. I normally treat for coci right away because of my climate but I chose to treat the flock with safe-guard instead. She perked up within a few days and after second treatment and vitamins she is back to her old self. I have had to sprinkle calcium on her food a few times also. She did poop out a few round worms. Only her and there were not a lot but she feels much better.

Back
Top Bottom