Sick or Wounded? =( Help please. (video attached)

BackyardCoop

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
This is Pip, my very first chicken. She's a banty phoenix and about 7-8 months old.
A few weeks ago she stopped laying and has been very quiet.

Now she wobbles when she walks. She doesn't act like she is in serious pain so I am wondering if she's sick rather than wounded?
She just lays down most of the time which is what I noticed first because she is normally very active. I have no clue what happened to her. Any ideas if this is something that will heal or if she is sick? If she is I don't want the others to catch it but it seems to be a sprain or something. Just looking for advice!
hu.gif

It seems both of her legs have been affected, as they both turn inward.
hit.gif

My father in law said it reminds him or arthritis but I know she is too young.
Is it possible she was stepped on and her legs have been almost paralyzed?

She is still eating, as well. No problems there.

Last edited:
Hi, from the looks of her, it can look like Marek's. I know nothing about your flock history, such as when you brought your last chicken into the flock. Some people will guess it's a vitamin deficiency, and it would be good to try vitamins and see if that works. Let me know.

Hey, I watched the video! It looks like Mareks disease, as seminolewind said, but another suggestion here: I am sure you are a good chicken owner, and there is no offense meant here, but, could the leg band be too small/too tight? I had a chicken do this exact same thing and it was because her leg band was way too tight! Otherwise, it is probably a sprain... I hope she gets better, the poor biddie!

Hey, I watched the video! It looks like Mareks disease, as seminolewind said, but another suggestion here: I am sure you are a good chicken owner, and there is no offense meant here, but, could the leg band be too small/too tight? I had a chicken do this exact same thing and it was because her leg band was way too tight! Otherwise, it is probably a sprain... I hope she gets better, the poor biddie!
It can spin on her leg fine, I had thought the same thing because I'd never use the bands like that before. I may even take it off tomorrow just to make sure but I don't think it is.
Thank you =)

"If" it's Marek's, it will most likely proceed into leg paralysis and wing walking or not at all. I hope it's not. I'm glad you took the video, it shows alot.

"If" it's Marek's, it will most likely proceed into leg paralysis and wing walking or not at all. I hope it's not. I'm glad you took the video, it shows alot.
I knew if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to explain it. I have Pip on our porch until she heals or has to be put down. She's in her own little pen and is eating like she hasn't in days. She must not be able to get over to the food well.

Back
Top Bottom