Sick Polish - Not sure what’s wrong

Black743

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2019
Our Polish hen started acting funny a few days ago when the temperature dropped. Two days ago she was just standing in one place with her feathers fluffed. She doesn’t have bloody stool but it is very runny. She’s eating and drinking but has lost some weight. I started her on Corid yesterday morning and have a little in her water as well. She’s in a warm bed out of the weather. I’m not giving her Tylan because her breathing sounds clear. She’s just very motionless and fluffed up.

Am I giving her the right thing?

Sometimes trying a treatment to see if it improves a sick chicken is all you can do when you don't know what's wrong. But you do need to consider other causes than coccidiosis.

I suggest a poop sample taken to your vet for a fecal float test to see if she does have coccidia and possibly worms. But it will be negative for coccidia because of her being on Corid.

Other possibilities are a crop disorder, which you'd need to check in the morning for crop fullness, or a reproductive disorder, or a bacterial infection.

How old is she? Does she lay eggs yet? How much Corid are younusing in the water? What color are her droppings? Sorry that she is sick. Do you have access to a vet in your area that could check her droppings for coccidiosis or worms? You may want to offer some scrambled chopped egg, feed made wet with water, tuna, or canned cat food.

How old is she? Does she lay eggs yet? How much Corid are younusing in the water? What color are her droppings? Sorry that she is sick. Do you have access to a vet in your area that could check her droppings for coccidiosis or worms? You may want to offer some scrambled chopped egg, feed made wet with water, tuna, or canned cat food.

She’s about three months, not laying any eggs. I gave her some eggs this morning. Just trying to nourish her and keep her warm. She will perch on my hand but just doesn’t have the spunk she did a few days ago.

I put around a teaspoon in her water and gave her 0.1ml via mouth twice daily. Her droppings are normal brown but runny.

How big is your waterer? Usually most use 2 tsp (10 ml) of liquid Corid per gallon for 5-7 days. You may give her 0.1 ml of undiluted Corid per pound twice a day for several days in addition to the medicated water.

Is she eating and drinking well today, or doing better?

Back
Top Bottom