sick poult umbilical cord attached?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krbrutsche, Feb 22, 2014.

1. krbrutsche

krbrutsche New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    i just purchased a poult today at the feed store because i noticed he was hurt. when i brought him home i could see there was something wrapped around his leg preventing him from walking properly. it looked to be a scab of some sort so i put neosporen on to try and loosen it. when i went back later i took tweezers and tried to work it off of his leg it came loose but was attached to is belly. i unrapped it from his leg but i think it is his umbilical cord. he seems to be getting weeker i have been hand feeding/watering him as he will not on his own. im not sure if there is anything i can do to help him? i have read that a molasses vinegar water is good to help strengthen sick poults and also giving them very small amounts of asprin can help ease pain. but i am unable to find any info on the umbilical cord issue. i really hope there is something i can do for him! any tips or advice will be appreciated!!
    thanks,
    katie

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Instead of molasses which can be a laxative and vinegar which is an irritant to the intestines of young chicks, I would offer electrolyte water. There are commercial feedstore packets in the chicken aisle, you can use Pedialyte, or make your own easily. The umbilical stump should dry up on it's own in a day or two. Here's a recipe for electrolytes from The Chicken Chick (I would make a smaller amount):

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION

1/2 teaspoon salt substitute
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 gallon water​

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by