Sick Rhode Island Red-please help

Nikki Raney

In the Brooder
May 28, 2017
California
Sick Rhode Island Red. 4 years old. Has not laid since May of last year. Noticed 3 days ago, poopy butt feathers. Now, lethargic, did not see her eat much if at all yesterday, drank a lot of water. Crop feels like a water balloon. She is spitting up water now and again. Her poop is clear water. Yesterday had to find her to put her in the run. Did not come with the other girls. Last night she was in the door to the coop when the door went down and just stayed there and I had to put her in. This morning she did not come out first thing with the other girls. She is the only one who is sick. 1 of 7. She was 2 nd hen in the order, now she goes off by herself and the others come to her to hang out.
I would like to do what I can for her at home.

Omg I am going through the same thing right now with my 3 year old RIR. She could have sour crop and possibly worms. I have given mine probiotics and a good electrolyte in her water. Scrambled eggs with garlic, oregano and some molasses. Yogurt is good too to help with yeast if it is sour crop. I am going to treat her for worms and see if that helps. I can't afford to take her to the Vet so it is all research from this site. Good luck!

Omg I am going through the same thing right now with my 3 year old RIR. She could have sour crop and possibly worms. I have given mine probiotics and a good electrolyte in her water. Scrambled eggs with garlic, oregano and some molasses. Yogurt is good too to help with yeast if it is sour crop. I am going to treat her for worms and see if that helps. I can't afford to take her to the Vet so it is all research from this site. Good luck!
Thank you. I will try that.
I can't either, and my vet doesn't know a lot about chickens.
Good luck to both of us.

Ugh it is so hard when they are sick. I also treated her with Tylan orally for possible infection because I wasn't sure and was advised to try it. It did perk her up a bit but now her tail feathers are down again. :( good luck to you too.

What if it's salmonella?
I've been fighting rats in my run at night. She fits those symptoms, but doesn't say how to treat.
Also, she is not interested in eating her normal feed, will she eat the yogurt, eggs, etc?

Attachments

• IMG_1453.JPG
    IMG_1453.JPG
    420.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1454.JPG
    IMG_1454.JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 15
What if it's salmonella?
I've been fighting rats in my run at night. She fits those symptoms, but doesn't say how to treat.
Also, she is not interested in eating her normal feed, will she eat the yogurt, eggs, etc?

Oh poor baby!! I am not familiar with salmonella and what the treatment would be. Would all the hens have it or just one? But from what I just looked up yogurt and it's good gut bacteria would benefit her. You can scramble an egg and then mix in the yogurt and see if she will eat that. Also raw garlic is beneficial. I have been mixing it all and mine loves it.

Oh poor baby!! I am not familiar with salmonella and what the treatment would be. Would all the hens have it or just one? But from what I just looked up yogurt and it's good gut bacteria would benefit her. You can scramble an egg and then mix in the yogurt and see if she will eat that. Also raw garlic is beneficial. I have been mixing it all and mine loves it.
Thank you so much for all your help.
I need to go to the store and grab these items. I looked up in my fresh eggs daily book and it also says to massage her crop to if it's sour crop. .? I may try that also.
Question: otherwise, before your RIR was sick, was she laying?
I built a new coop last year and added 3 new chicks and my barred rock and RIR quit laying.

Thank you so much for all your help.
I need to go to the store and grab these items. I looked up in my fresh eggs daily book and it also says to massage her crop to if it's sour crop. .? I may try that also.
Question: otherwise, before your RIR was sick, was she laying?
I built a new coop last year and added 3 new chicks and my barred rock and RIR quit laying.

I am so glad you posted!! I am now wondering if it may be salmonella! I hate that they can't tell us what is wrong.
Nope mine hasn't layed since she molted in the fall I believe. She seemed normal to me as she always came running to me for mealworms and when I would let them out into their run for the day. Then one night she was the last one in and then sat there the next morning. Then my barred rocks started pecking her comb off and she was bleeding so I separated her quickly. it's been up and down since then because I have no clue what is definitely wrong. I just bought some safeguard medicated feed pellets to deworm her and see if that helps and I will continue with the garlic, oregano, electrolytes and probiotics. Fingers crossed.
Hoping that someone else chimes in with their thoughts so maybe we can pinpoint what could be wrong. keep me posted.

Back
Top Bottom