Sick Roo?

The wazine said it was just for large round worm. Thanks for your help! I can call the store and see if I missed the other safeguard.

The symptoms you described could be caused by many things. Why would worms be the first logical guess? Have you seen evidence of worms? Watery poop and fatigue basically are symptoms of a million chicken illnesses. I would isolate him and continue to give him fluids including vitamins/electrolytes and look for any other possible symptoms. Worming may help, but if it's not worms, you could be stressing him system out more and making him more sick. I use DE and allow for natural resistence to worms. This is just me and I know there are many camps of thoughts on this. He is continuing his normal behavior the best he can so as to appear normal to any would-be predators who might try to pick off a sickly looking chicken.

I should have been more clear...I didn't mean to treat him with DE. I was just saying that is my normal routine treatment for worms and parasites. Sprinkle it on the food and ground where they eat it and some theories say it clean the worms out. It probably wouldn't be strong enough if he is experiencing a serious infestation. My question/wonder is how is it known that it is a confirmed infestation and not some other illness that causes diarrhea and fatigue?

The symptoms you described could be caused by many things. Why would worms be the first logical guess? Have you seen evidence of worms? Watery poop and fatigue basically are symptoms of a million chicken illnesses. I would isolate him and continue to give him fluids including vitamins/electrolytes and look for any other possible symptoms. Worming may help, but if it's not worms, you could be stressing him system out more and making him more sick. I use DE and allow for natural resistence to worms. This is just me and I know there are many camps of thoughts on this. He is continuing his normal behavior the best he can so as to appear normal to any would-be predators who might try to pick off a sickly looking chicken.

The OP has not wormed him and does not know if he was wormed prior to her getting him 6 weeks ago. He is mature so Cocci was not a first guess as they are generally resistant by the time they are mature. Worms will cause a loss of appetite leading to watery poo, because they are not eating much food, also can cause lethargy and fatigue. By the time a fecal can be performed, if a vet can be found to do one and many are sent out to labs with 1-2 week wait for results, a serious infestation will likely have caused death already. IMO worming the bird will cause no harm if it isn't worms and could save his life if it is worms. Last time I took a sick bird to the vet he did a fecal but dosed with panacur before the fecal was done, to be safe. The symptoms were watery poo and lethargy. And he did have capillary worms as well as cocci, but he was 5 weeks old, so the cocci was no surprise.

Even adult chickens can get coccidia when you place them in a different environment. There are at least 9 different strains of coccidia. If you bring a chicken to your property that is already carrying a load of worms and he is exposed to a different strain of coccidia that he does not have immunity to, his defenses are not going to be up to par.

Safeguard is a very safe wormer to use, even on debilitated chickens.

DE is useless once it becomes wet. DE will NOT kill worms when fed to chickens.

Even adult chickens can get coccidia when you place them in a different environment. There are at least 9 different strains of coccidia. If you bring a chicken to your property that is already carrying a load of worms and he is exposed to a different strain of coccidia that he does not have immunity to, his defenses are not going to be up to par.

Safeguard is a very safe wormer to use, even on debilitated chickens.

DE is useless once it becomes wet. DE will NOT kill worms when fed to chickens.

X2

Back
Top Bottom