sick rooster, help!

affacat

Crowing
12 Years
May 21, 2011
Oregon (Northwest, Clackamas County)
about 4 months old.

he seemed just a bit lethargic this morning. i was worried about him, my wife just thought he was tired.

now... he's making a couple odd gargling sounds. he's drooling a bit. and most obviously, his head is shaking. he's sitting (but he always sits). now he's making more noise than he was... just odd sounding.

what should i do?!!? i love this guy.

Well....could be choking on something, hold him gently upside down for 30 seconds or so. He could have something stuck in his crop also, try massaging his crop and give him a few drops of veg oil. It could also be sour crop, check for a bad smell in his mouth.

Do hold him gently upside down and massage his crop. I don't even know for a fact if that's what you're "supposed" to do. But I do know they'll throw up if you do that and it sounds like that may be what he needs. He sounds very sick. It could be something that's been coming on for awhile now.

Quote:
Olive oil or vegetable oil would be fine. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I'm hoping someone else will jump in here.

You *want that stuff out of him if he's got a crop problem. It does sound like he may've been sick for some time. Just hold him up and see how he does. Is he congested? It could be a respiratory infection gone on too long.

Back
Top Bottom