Sick rooster......please help: Pic's added

Tiffany, I don't think he's got Air Sac Disease, because I think that strikes chickens less than 15 weeks. I suppose he COULD have it, because he's not much older than that, but if Jody doesn't think that's it, then I'm sure it's not - she's WAY more experienced than I am. Hope your boy pulls through okay!

Tiffany, Mareks is most common at 12-30 weeks, however I do not think this is his problem. The reason being is the most common initial symptoms should be wing or leg paralysis. The fact that he is starting with neck issues leads me to botulism or a toxin. It could be vitamin deficiency, however your recent post about the dirt floor in his coop concerns me because there is a chance of decayed matter.

I would start an immediate molasses flush of 1/4 cup per gal of water to be on the safe side. Keep him in a cool location and on this for at least 8 drinking hours. Then restart the vitamins and electrolytes.

Jody

You make it..go to the supermarket and get molasses. It should be in the aisle with pancake syrup, I think. It is expensive, but worth it. You could try an epson flush, but they usually won't drink it. They like the sweet taste of molasses.
wink.png

Mix it with water and give as I mentioned. If it is botulism and you caught it early enough, it will flush him out.

Jody

I had a young roo that got sick one time and held his head on the ground while standing up for a few days. I gave him Vitamins, scrambled eggs and wet chicken starter into a mash. i also gave him some antibotics.I never found out what was wrong with him, and have never had another episode. He is a big boy now. Hope it all goes well for you....
fl.gif

Thankyou so much Jody.....
hugs.gif
I had a stupid moment there when I asked what molasses was. I will have to go first thing in the morning and get the molasses because everything here is closed for the night, don't you just love small town's.

As far as the roo goes, he is holding his own. He still holds his head down, but he is no worse. He crowed bright and early this morning and he has crowed all day. I can go in there and startle him and he stands right up and looks around but within minutes his head is hanging again. I hope and pray that he can hang on tile morning.....
fl.gif

Quote:
I had a rooster yesterday that we also noticed was acting weird . DH separated him from the flock and put him in a big cage alone . FEED AND WATER . POOR thing MUST had been dyhdrated , he LIKE TO NEVER STOPPED DRINKING . We don't understand this because there is plenty feed and water available to them at all times EXCEPT AT NIGHT in the coop , only water , NO FOOD in coop .

Anyway today he is doing alot better .

Quote:
I do have him seperated. I did that as soon as I noticed something was off with him. I also have him on the vitamins and electrolytes. I had started him on the terramycin, but decided to take the advice from someone with way more knowledge about chickens then my self and take him off of that for now.

Last edited:
Goodmorning!! I have some good news from the BR roo.... or as my kids call him "Big Daddy"....
gig.gif

He is doing much better. As far as I can tell he is not holding his head down anymore, and he is very eager to get out of his cage. I have been giving him the vitamins and electrolytes. I have bought the molasses this morning, but I am gonna wait tile someone with more experiance with this comes along and tells me what to do. I don't want to do the flush if he doesn't need it.

The only thing that I have noticed this morning is he is shaking his head. Kinda like when a dog has mites in his ear's. Any ideas why?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom