1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick rooster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ddpittman, May 18, 2016.

1. ddpittman

ddpittman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2015
    Osteen, FL
    This morning my Orp cross rooster, Spirit, was huddled in the corner of the run moaning. He has been in some fights with one of my other roosters, & his comb is damaged, but he has seemed fine otherwise. After everyone left, he went over & ate, & poop seemed normal, but he's not acting normally. His face is pale too. Help!

2. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    give him water with vitamins or electrolytes. he might be in shock watch him. .

3. ddpittman

Oct 7, 2015
    Osteen, FL
    Thanks! We bought some electrolytes & he ran out of his quarantine, but we caught him & brought him back. Hopefully, he'll be better by tomorrow.

4. ddpittman

Oct 7, 2015
    Osteen, FL
    Spirit died. He stayed in the coop all day,but got paler & paler. We saw him fall over in death throes & put him out of his misery. We plucked & butchered him to see if there was any obvious injury. We didn't see any. No big wounds or anything like that. Our gamecock didn't attack him again, so I am wondering what actually killed him. Do you think it was shock?

5. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    sorry for your loss.it is hard to tell what might have happened. sometimes chickens get sick and die for no obvious reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by