sick rooster

rooroo2

Hatching
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Ok my bcm rooster lost his voice and became congested so i locked him up in a pen just in case it was infectious. Gave him vetrx and acv for a week with no improvement so i culled him because i dont want the rest of my hens to get what ever it was. My question is will a infectious disease remain in my yard where they free range. I have them cooped up now and they all seem healthy but i would like to let them out to roam

Some poultry respiratory diseases do remain in the environment for some time. He may have had Infectious Bronchitis, it's fairly common, but there are several possibilities. You can Google poultry respiratory diseases and see what it says about how long the viruses live in the environment. VetRx and ACV would not have been enough to save him. They really need antibiotic's to help them recover. The disease itself is a virus but it very, very easily morphs right into pneumonia and secondary bacterial infections, that's what usually kills the bird.

As for the rest of your flock. They have already been exposed. The rooster would have been contagious before you saw the more obvious symptoms. You'll just have to watch them and see if they come down with it.

Yeah i am waiting to see if they show symtoms. I thought about antibiotics but it seemed like everything i read said that even if they recover they remain carriers so if my hens come down with it i will just start over completely. Does anyone know if there is a vaccine that would cover a broad range of poultry diseases like a 7 way type shot

Back
Top Bottom