Sick Runner Duck ~ help needed fast.... PLZ!!!

Sunny Chook Farm

Songster
12 Years
Jan 23, 2008
Making my rounds this morning, I found one of my 6.5 wk old runner ducks laying on its back in hut... got him out and he was really weak and couldn't stand that well.. I bought him inside, he is eating and drinking at first so fast like he was straving, he is setting now but when he trys to move he just falls over... his poo was kinda runny (gray color) with black poo chunks in it... in his nose there looks to be dried blood...

Someone please help, I have no idea what could be wrong.. TThis is the first time any of our fowl has been sick and it is killing me knowing something is wrong w/ one of our babies and I don't know what it is or what to do.....

I dont know for sure....but it sounds like he was being kept from the feed. Maybe he was being bullied alittle? I would say, keep him warm...plenty food and water. Make sure the water is deep enough that he can dip his whole head into, as he will need to clear his nostrils after feeding. Maybe someone with more knowledge will come along soon.

Thanks Justusnak for your reply... I'm keeping in our masterbath... just ran a tub of water for him to swim around in, he is doing that and dippin' his head under too.. but he is still falling around, not as much in the water (that helps w/ it some) he has cleared his nose, but it still looks a little red inside.... his poo is not runny now.....

I really would like to know what this could be, so I'm able to help/treat it...

Thanks, I looked there and what I'm guessing is this:
Riemerella Anatipestifer Infection
This bacterial disease of ducks is also known as Pasteurella Anatipestifer infection, infectious serositis and New Duck disease. Anatipestifer infection causes high mortality, weight loss and condemnation. In the acute form, listlessness, eye discharge and diarrhea are commonly seen. Ducks show incoordination, shaking of the head and twisted neck. Birds are commonly found on their backs, paddling their legs.

~Thou he doesn't have eye discharge, shaking of head or twisted neck.. his poo was runny but normal now.. but he still flops around when tryin' to walk....

Thanks again

Do you have mor ethen one duck? to me it sounds like he got beat up badly. It tends to happen this time of yr since the flock is breaking into mating pairs and trios and some Drakes turn into downright monsters. I'd give him rest and then pen him alone or with a hen for the rest of the mating season ( mid June ) things should of settled down by then JMHO
Allie

If he's eating, I would try to feed him some live culture yogurt. Any other signs? How are his feathers looking?

The leg problems and the runny poo could be due to other things as well. You said there were chunks of stuff along with watery discharge? Do you think he ate something he shouldn't have?

It is just that those symptoms are so general and could be signs of several different problems.

I've given him yogurt... his feathering looks good, not roughed up or anything... The sign now is that he/she still stumbles around when tryin' to walk, really off balance..

I have 4 other runner ducks, they are all fine.. cleanned the hut, didn't see anything out of the norm...

Back
Top Bottom