sick sex linked hen

nknkdvt

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 1, 2011
Texas
I wanted to check on my diagnosis of our hen. She was 5 yrs old and my favorite hen. I had to put her sister down 1 yr ago with egg yolk peritonitis and she had a softball sized (no kidding) hardened mass of egg yolk in her abdomen. Chubby, this hen, started with a swollen water balloon feeling abdomen 2 weeks ago. She couldn't even walk up the coop ramp. Fearing the worse, I took her to an avian vet who said there was nothing wrong with her but gave me antibiotics, since I was concerned about peritonitis and what had happened to her sister. I gave her warm baths, kept her inside, gave her antibiotics, and did everything I knew. I went ahead and put her in the coop last night since she did not like it inside and would not eat or drink. She had completed her antibiotics and was not getting any better. Her comb was flopped over due to dehydration. This morning she could barely keep her eyes open and was attacked by another chicken several times. She could barely walk and her abdomen was tender (she would open her beak and wince when I touched it). I put her out of her misery and decided to autopsy to see if she had the same as her sister. (I will never adopt another gold sex linked chicken again- its too heartbreaking). She was full of clear fluid, like a water balloon, and had several necrotic (green, foul smelling, liquid) developing yolks, she also had malformed hard yellow yolks inside as well. I think she was fairly old for a sex link and she had a great life until this so I don't regret putting her down. But I'm not sure what happened to start this. The coop is clean, good diet, they have a worming schedule etc. ......

Chickens all can live up to teens.

Sorry for your loss,now this is unusual because sexlinkd are known to have strong immune systems.Maybe the worming caused this...
I definitely feel you...I had two hens die yesterday and a few days ago...

I think I figured it out. I'm betting on liver failure which caused ascites. I doubt I could have helped her.

Sorry for your loss. Worming did not cause any of it, and five is considered a good life for most production breeds.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom