Happy Henny

Songster
May 30, 2018
VA
Hi, I have a Sick silkie that I am concerned about.
I was away on vacation and once we came home we found one of our 2 month old silkies in her coop looking sick. She was Laying down with her legs sprawled out in the middle of the coop peeping for her mother. I took her out and got a little box for her to stay in for the time being. I gave her medicated chick feed in a little bowl and she had no problem eating by herself. I also put a little bowl of water next to her but she didnt drink so I took a syringe filled with water and dropped the water onto the tip of her beak and she drank it. She seems to have a really hard time walking and she seems to have no control over her neck too. We think she has splayed leg so we put a rubber band around both of her legs but she still falls over. I do my best to keep her head up and her in the right position but she always ends up falling or in the corner with her head under her body. Heres a picture of her now I just repositioned her. Thanks in advance :)
View attachment 1904412

She is on the young side for Mareks, but that could be possible after the age of 3 weeks old. It would not hurt to treat her with some Corid for coccidiosis if you wish to do that. That can make a chick weak and wobbly. I would remove the leg hobble, just so that you can observe her walking. She should not suddenly develop splayed leg. Can you post a video to YouTube with a link posted here?

Was she walking ok before? If so, it probably isn't splay leg. I'm not an expert, but to me it sounds like wry neck or mareks. It could be coccidiosis also, and she is just too weak to hold up her head. How are her droppings? Some others may be able to help. @casportpony @Eggcessive
I am gonna have to agree with @townchicks. I would try giving her some vitamin E. @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock helped me with my chicken with wry neck, so hopefully they can help yours.:fl good luck.
She is on the young side for Mareks, but that could be possible after the age of 3 weeks old. It would not hurt to treat her with some Corid for coccidiosis if you wish to do that. That can make a chick weak and wobbly. I would remove the leg hobble, just so that you can observe her walking. She should not suddenly develop splayed leg. Can you post a video to YouTube with a link posted here?
She was walking fine before. She has been with 1 other chick that had coccidiosis before but we treated her with corid for 5 days. She is in a coop with 9 other Silkies at a variety of ages and they haven't been showing signs of diseases. Her dropping are normal. We have been giving her Nutri-Drench mixed with water in the syringe. I removed the leg hobble. We are having difficulties posting the video. Thanks for all of the replies!:)

She was walking fine before. She has been with 1 other chick that had coccidiosis before but we treated her with corid for 5 days. She is in a coop with 9 other Silkies at a variety of ages and they haven't been showing signs of diseases. Her dropping are normal. We have been giving her Nutri-Drench mixed with water in the syringe. I removed the leg hobble. We are having difficulties posting the video. Thanks for all of the replies!:)

76C3B415-C456-4A5A-98A4-CBCA27A697B1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom