Sick Sleepy 10-day old chicks

jrleek

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 19, 2011
Hey everybody, a little advice. This is my first time trying to raise chicks. I bought 10 chicks from the local feed store on Saturday. I think they were about a week old at that point, so they should be 10-12 days now.

Most seem to be healthy and happy, a few actually keep trying to escape the brooder. However, when I got home from work today I found 1 Black Sex-linked dead. Observing more closely, I noticed this evening that one of the Golden sex-linked is spending most of her time hunched over sleeping. I can wake her up and get her to eat and drink a bit, but not terribly willingly.
Furthermore, I can see some runny looking poops, maybe even a little bloody?

This sounds like cocci, right? I'm giving Nutrena medicated feed, which has Amprolium, but only a little bit. I guess I need to move the sick one out? And feed them all something, what?

I've included an image below. The sick chick is at the top of the image, and the suspect poop is just below her.

Thanks,
Jim

Sounds like it could be coccidioisis- even if they have never been on the ground they can still get it from transfer. Medicated feed can prevent it but sometimes doesn't.

No need to separate them from my experience. Treat all chickens who have been exposed to the infectious poo.

You should see improvement within 24 hours with Corid 9.6% liquid (amprolium), available in the cattle section of the feed store. I use 9.5 ml per gallon of water, mixing a fresh solution daily as their drinking water for 5-7 days.

If the bloody poo comes back after treatment start treatment again (this may happen several days after your course of Corid).

Don't administer vitamins during Corid administration, as it is a thiamine blocker.

Sulmet will treat coccidiosis also (poultry section of feed store) but fewer strains, and can be harder on their systems.

I don't raise chicks anymore without a bottle of Corid around- it is that effective. They also sell a powder (different dosage).

Last edited:
Bloody poo is a bad sign, especially in chicks. I've never dealt with cocci, but the chicks need to be medicated. The meds in the feed are more preventative, but not curative. I don't know which meds to give, or the dose. I highly recommend using sav-a-chick in their water.

Wow, that Corid really worked great.. I administered it at about 10 am this morning, and by 5pm the sick chick looked 100% better. She was eating well, running around, everything. Her poop might still be a bit runny, but she no longer appears to be at death's door.

The next problem is, what to do with all this Corid? The smallest size they had was a pint, and I need about a teaspoon total. That's a lot left over...

Also, how long can I use the same water mixture? Does it go bad? A 1/4 teaspoon is a quart of medicated water, which is enough to last my 9 chicks 3 days or so...

I am so glad that your chick is better!
wee.gif
Coccidiosis really causes painful tummies. As for the Corid, mix a fresh mixture each day. I don't know how long a bottle can keep on the shelf.

Wow, that Corid really worked great.. I administered it at about 10 am this morning, and by 5pm the sick chick looked 100% better. She was eating well, running around, everything. Her poop might still be a bit runny, but she no longer appears to be at death's door.

The next problem is, what to do with all this Corid? The smallest size they had was a pint, and I need about a teaspoon total. That's a lot left over...

Also, how long can I use the same water mixture? Does it go bad? A 1/4 teaspoon is a quart of medicated water, which is enough to last my 9 chicks 3 days or so...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom