Sick Tom Turkey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whatknott, Mar 16, 2011.

1. whatknott

whatknott Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    I have a 6-7 year old royal palm tom turkey. On Monday, he suddenly became weak - leaning to the side, head drooping, not eating. Put him under a heat lamp, wormed him with ivermectin. no improvement. Fecal was watering and white, not frothy, no nasal discharge. I have SMZ pills and have been taking half a pill, soaking in water and squirting it down his throat for two days - no improvement. Next step??
    I have clindamycin, cephalexin, pencillin antibiotics on hand - not sure of dosage though; also could go and buy tylan 200. Any suggestions, please?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I just saw your post. Searched for turkeys in this section and I saw a lot of unanswered posts about turkeys. How is your turkey?

3. whatknott

whatknott Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2008
    You're right - not too much about turkeys!
    I switched to Duramycin and he got better in about 2 days; I probably didn't continue it long enough though and about a week and a half ago, he started leaning to the side again and not perching on his roost. So I'm back giving it to him, but he's not responding like he did the first time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by