Sick Turkey

whatknott

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 3, 2008
I have a 4 year old royal palm tom turkey. He hasn't been very vocal the last couple of weeks, but otherwise has been healthy and seemed fine. But two days ago, he did not get off his perch and his head was drooping. Head is bright red, no other symptoms except head drooping and getting weaker. He had a respiratory problem about 2 years ago and I put him on SMZ and he recovered, so I did the same this time, even though there was no wheezing. Giving it twice a day, but no improvement. any ideas?

Welcome, whatknott, sorry your turkey bird is poorly. Depression and generalized malaise can be intials signs of several different diseases and without more definite symptoms it is difficult to know. How is his appetite (what kind of feed)? Is he drinking? Are his feathers ruffled (`puffed' out). When he is off of his perch does he lie on ground with his neck stretched out with his head on the ground? If you lift him does his neck and head still hang down? No changes in gait or balance?

Not changes in droppings? Have you checked for mites?

You can supplement his diet with scrambled eggs and plain live culture yogurt. Provide electrolytes and vitamins, and continue to watch for changes.

Though it is not recommended (treating with an antibiotic when the causitive agent could be protozoal or viral) if you are going to use an antibiotic a broad spectrum agent like Tylan might be more useful.

Please post with updates, we'll do our best to help (fellow RP owner).

good luck and, again, welcome.

I apologize for not introducing myself first - I forgot that most forums expect you to do that...I was just frantically looking for a clue on the internet and found something on this forum, so quick joined it.
We do a traveling petting zoo near Philadlephia, Pa. We only have two royal palm toms (no hens). The one tom is 11 years old and getting so arthritic that we seldom use him. The other one is 4 years old. I noticed in late August that he seemed to be doing a lot of preening, but I looked and looked and couldn't find any lice, but powdered him anyway.
He was never much of a "strutter" but would gobble for the crowd and was greatly loved. We did a fair the last part of September and I noticed he didn't gobble much. But nothing else different - poops were sometimes darker in color than usual, but then the next day, they seemed normal again. he was still eating and drinking fine. Feathers were not ruffled, and still aren't.
It was this week, that he was perching and the head was hanging down. I left him on the perch, but he fell down as I was trying to give him the SMZ, so I made a special place for him to lie down. He was so weak last night that I didn't think he would live through the night. Be he was actually standing for awhile, but then will lie down again with his head either bent under or stretched out flat. Sometimes I think he's getting better, but then I'll find him sitting very still later and I think he's dead. He's not eating or drinking right now.
Okay, so how or where do I give a turkey a shot? I think I have some Tylan in the medicine chest for animals - but don't know how to do a turkey...just in case I decide to try another antibiotic. Oh, I also gave him some ivermectrin yesterday too.

whatknott wrote:

We do a traveling petting zoo near Philadlephia, Pa. We only have two royal palm toms (no hens). The one tom is 11 years old and getting so arthritic that we seldom use him.

I just want to say, you obviously take good care of your turkeys. Our RP tom is only three and we're fond of him (DW's favorite), we hope we do as well.

I'd suggest an avian vet if one is available in your area (maybe a member here from the Philly area knows of one). I'll post a link to a thread in which Tylan dosing is outlined - dlhunicorn is member whose screenname should actually be a static search category (the search facility here is, in general, good as well).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=86782&p=1 (if not clear enough start a new thread for more responses).

If your guy (forbid) doesn't recover, you might also consider contacting your State Vet's office and have a necroscopy done; here in Missouri they will perform one for free - particularly interested if they are told that the death was sudden, AI on their minds. I don't know if you have other birds in your zoo, but if so it is good to know whether anything infectious was the COD.

Please be so kind as to visit the OTHER POULTRY subject line (when you've the time and inclination) and post some pictures of your 11yr. old (plenty of `turkeys' here and more `gobbling' is always appreciated).

Wishing you the best,

John​

Last edited:
Shots for turkey are given in the breast or the thigh. Has he ever been wormed? A lot of the times worms are the problem, especially I would think in ones that travel on different ground..... Hope he improves for you

Good news! This morning, the turkey was standing up with only a slight head droop; gave him his SMZ and when I went back later, he had gotten over the barricade and was headed outdoors. He stayed outdoors all day, standing upright every time I saw him - didn't see him eating and he couldn't quite make it back into the barn tonight - but I carried him back to his area that I had bedded down for him and he was so much better than the night before!! The only thing I'm wondering - he definitely has very loose poop - this morning the poop was tannish/yellow and kind of scrambled egg consistency. Then about an hour later, it was dark brown but much thinner. The rest of the day, I couldn't find where he pooped-
I did worm him with Ivermectrin two days ago, so maybe it was all worms. I usually add DE to their feed, but maybe it wasn't enough to control his worms. Hopefully we're on the mend though - thanks so much.
As far as the 11 year old tom, I think he may be at his last days. I used him in one petting zoo on Saturday because I didn't have a turkey at all to use, and he strutted and gobbled for about the first 15 minutes and then he just sat the rest of the 5 hours. I wormed him too so I'll see if he perks up. He's going through a terrible moult right now too and then oddly picks up his feathers and arranges them as if he's making a nest - anyone ever see that before?
Again, thanks everyone

well two months as passed since my royal palm turkey was sick and got well. He's been perfectly fine, except he seldom gobbles and hardly ever struts - but that's how he's been his whole life. In a petting zoo, they sure look a lot fancier when they show off for people and he seldom showed his strut for people.
anyway, I noticed yesterday that he was standing out in the cold rain, which is not normal for him. Now I notice that he is hold his neck to the side as if he is looking for something, but that's is normal stance now. He can straighten it out, but he holds his whole neck and head to the right. Otherwise he seems normal.
Is this a sign of something wrong and I don't know what???

Back
Top Bottom