Sickly Chicky (con't)

It's a very Good sign that she is eating. The greenish poop can be a sign of a lot of things but if she hasn't eaten much lately it is most likely from that. I think bile backs up in their system without enough food. How long have you had her separated from the flock? Sometimes if they can't see the others they start to get a bit depressed. We're you able to find any antibiotics?

She's been separated 24 hours. We found a local vet that is familiar with chickens and have an appt for tomorrow morning. However, she seems much better after sleeping and eating all day and they won't penalize us if we cancel the full appt and bring in a stool sample instead...
I am do think she misses her girlfriends. I am considering bringing her outside for a leg stretch...
No, we didn't find any. They have Vet Rx only.

Yesterday afternoon we made a vet appt for this morning. About 1/2 an hour later, Peppper was up in the crate and seemed back to normal. (hopeful!) After an hour of that, we decided to put her outside in the chicken yard and see what happened (2days ago, 2 girls under her in the normal pecking order pecked her). She RAN across the yard where she was warmly recieved by the group and commenced to cluck and sing loudly for about 4 minutes (she has never been seen doing this before- she's a quiet girl). All her behavior has been back to normal since then! She resumed her exact place in the "Order of the Coop". The vet said it's unlikely for her to make a turnaround unless she passed the egg or that was never the problem in the first place... Maybe she just wanted to be spoiled and have a spa day ;) :lol:Thank you for all your help. I am so thankful for people being willing to respond to the questionsand concerns of newbies like me. :) Here are 2 pics of her in the yard today.

:ya
In the first pic, she's the black w/ white on the left. In the 2nd pic, she's in the front.

Last edited:
Her fluffy bottom looks so clean! Hope she will be fine. Is it possible she passed whatever it was, un-noticed, when she was out the other day"

Your two silvers are like mine. I call them the butt sisters. Light Butt and Dark Butt.

It is totally possible. We never saw it but the chicken yard is pretty large (at least 100x20) and it would take awhile to comb through it and look... plus they are constanstly churning up the soil and leaves as they scratch /dig through every square inch looking for tasty bits. :lau
We have 2 sets of "twins" :the SLW and Cuckoo Marans. Thankfully, not identical. Our Silver Sisters are Salt and Pepper. They're BFF's, too. The chickens have such unique personalities. I wasn't expecting that from them. Pepper is very quiet, shy almost. But her sister is like the head cheerleader - loud, into everything, she'd gladly be the leader if Big Ma would let her.

They were foraging together this morning (Salt is behind the tree).

My husband would've loved to call them the "Butt sisters" . :lol: It was from an old comedy routine... :lau Bertha Butt... or something...
If we get more in the Spring, I will name them after my mom's old aunts and grandmas. They had great old-time names like Lottie, Margie, Millie, Viv, Ardell etc. Plus my mom will love it :D

She's beautiful! She may well have had a broken rubber egg...especially if she's just beginning laying, the odd rubber egg isn't unusual. And if that rubber shell came out in the yard a chicken would eat it immediately (I know gross, but true) so glad she's doing so well :)
And FYI I named my bossiest barred rock "Sharon" after my mother lol. She hates it!

Back
Top Bottom