Sickly Hen - Help

jeep381

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
My chicken is unable to walk, but she eats and I feed her water through a dropper. Been this way for 3 days. Her bottom is covered in poop, I don't know how to clean it without putting her in shock. Her feet, claws are turned under. Crop is smaller than usual. I don't know what to do for her.

Sounds like possibly an injury or disease, can she stand at all? Does she move?

We can't figure out what's wrong without more info.

Any of these threads may be helpful in figuring out what's wrong and leading to treatment options:
Quote:

This site has the common symptoms of serious deficiencies, but symptoms can also show up in milder form than what they're describing here. B vitamins are most often involved in leg paralysis or lameness in chooks, generally.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/mineral_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

This thread has some info on some treatments some people have found for Marek's and similar diseases and injuries.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/135247/st-johns-wort
Best wishes.

Last edited:
She eats her food, mealworms, but she won't get up on her own. Her left leg seems paralyzed. I have felt for any bound eggs, but cannot feel any. Her underbelly was all wet last night, so I'm going to give her a bath this morning. . I put calcium in food. They get both scratch and meal, and they are free range most of the day in the yard.
I will check the feeds you gave me
Thank you.

Sounds like possible Marek's but the paralysis thread I linked to might give you some clues that match her symptoms. Good luck with her.

Is she able to bear weight at all on her legs? Even one of them? Sometimes an injury leads to one leg ending up in an unnatural position, then it gets cramped that way, then they are unable to use it normally and it can look paralyzed. Sometimes this results in an overcompensation injury in the other leg and they can end up stuck. For such chooks a walker or stroller type setup, like for children but minus the wheels, with a sling that supports the body, is often the only way to rehabilitate them.

I wouldn't worry too much about her going into shock, once they've been in trouble for long enough most animals become very resigned to being dealt with even by predators. They become more open to forming relationships they were never going to accept in a healthier state. Birds aren't generally as fragile as the common perception of them suggests.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom