Sickly Rhode Island Red

carrierose

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2014
Keno, OR
I have an 18 month old RIR that is not feeling well. It started a couple days ago. She walks like she is weak and in pain and lays around most of the time. Her poop is semi-solid with liquid. She will not eat or drink unless I force the issue. I have just finished a course of sulfamethazine sodium for all my poultry because my turkeys and a couple chickens were showing symptoms of coccidiosis (second time this year). She is resting comfortably in a dog crate in my kitchen away from the rest of the chickens & turkeys. Any one have an idea as to what might be wrong? Her eyes are clear & she looks healthy. We did have a dog chasing the chickens a couple weeks ago but everyone seemed fine after it.

Does she lay eggs? Have you wormed your flock recently? If not, then I would start by worming her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days. There are so many different problems that chickens can have that could cause her symptoms. If she is not laying or hasn't for some time, then she could be an internal layer or be suffering from cancer or egg yolk peritonitis, which are common diseases in high production egg layers. . Has she lost weight in her breast area, or is her lower abdomen full and spongy or firm? If it is a reproductive problem, antibiotics may help, but when they seem to be suffering, it may be time to put them down. I would check her for mites and lice, and make sure that her crop is emptying by morning.

She is not laying eggs and hasn't for some time. Her abdomen is soft & spongy. I use food grade DE in the chicken food on a regular basis to help prevent internal parasites. This was recommended to me by the chicken expert at our local Grange Co Op. We had mites a year ago and I have been treating on a regular basis to keep the mites away. I use DE in the nesting boxes and on the floor of the coop plus I use Permectrin II every couple months. In fact, I did so less than a month ago when I discovered my turkeys had mites. Up until 2 days ago she seemed perfectly healthy. None of my other chickens are exhibiting any of these symptoms. It will be really hard to put her down. "Feisty" is my best bud. We have squawkversations every time I go to the chicken yard. I don't want to see her suffer either though and will do whatever is needed. She is not eating enough to fill her crop so it's pretty much empty. I attribute her lack of egg laying to the mites last fall and the fact that she has been mostly featherless since that time.

I'm sorry to say the chicken expert at the local Grange Co Op gave you misinformation about DE. As mentioned, it will not prevent nor treat worms.

Last edited:
Thank you to all who replied. I now know what was wrong with my RIR. She has coccidiosis, even after treating all my chickens for 6 days with sulfamethazine sodium (Sulmet) the week before. Switched meds to Corid and "Feisty" is doing much better. She is eating & drinking on her own and trying to move around. She is still in the dog crate in the kitchen but I am hoping that sometime this week she can be reintroduced to the coop. As far as the DE, the gal at Grange Co Op said this is all she has ever used on her chickens & she has never had an internal parasite problem. Other than mites last fall and the coccidiosis issue this year brought in by turkeys my chickens have never had any health problems. I don't know if DE won't prevent internal parasites but I know I haven't had any problems with them while using it and other chicken people have told me the same thing.

I'm sorry to say the chicken expert at the local Grange Co Op gave you misinformation about DE. As mentioned, it will not prevent nor treat worms.

I've shaken my head a few times hearing some of the crap recommended by feed store employees.

Crappy information from employees is exactly why I never go to Tractor Supply while Chick Days are going on.

Sigh... Two more "Top Ten" lists, lol.

1) Top Ten Reasons not to shop at Tractor Supply.
2) Top Ten misinformations from feed store employees.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom