Siderails for truck transport?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
I've been trying to figure out exactly how to do the wooden siderails for a pickup truck so that I can transport small livestock. Anyone know how to do the end piece? I know that it's bolted onto the side rails, but, do I need a post or two to go down to the bottom of the bed, or just two pieces of lumber bolted to the siderails?

Quote:
You put the 2x3(I think) into the holes in the bed then you can attach your side rails to those. If its a 8 ft bed you will have 3 holes per side, shorter beds only have 2 holes per side. The hard part is the section that goes over the tailgate. You either need to hinge then hook on opposite side, or you can screw rails across back, but you will have to screw and unscrew everytime you need to let animals in/out

The part over the tailgate is where I'm stuck. Is it just two seperate pieces of wood that are connected to the side pieces? Or does the tailgate piece have two posts that rest on the bottom of the bed and connect to the side pieces?

my husband has the back gate, the part over the tail gate of the truck, attached to one side with hinges, and the second side with a slide bolt. There are no 2.4's going into the bed of the truck, there are no holes in the tailgate, if that is what you are asking. If you are really stuck pm me and I will try to get pictures.

Alright, and the tailgate piece, does it look like the side pieces, only smaller and without the verticle posts going into the truck bed? IE, does it have two short verticle posts and two horizontal planks for the tailgate piece? How big of a side bolt is it? Just the regular size that you'd use for something like a rabbit hutch or a door or something? Thank you so much! I think I'm begining to understand! Now I just have to figure out where I'm getting the wood, then go to the hardware store for hinges and the bolt!!!

I was stuck because I wasn't sure if the tailgate piece was supported by the tailgate in any way. I know that there aren't holes in the tailgates, but I wasn't sure if the posts came down to help support the door. With a sturdy hinge setup, support wouldn't be necessary.
big_smile.png
Wow, sometimes idiots like myself really can learn after awhile, lol.

Last edited:
as i remember it, it sits on top the tailgate, so that helps to stabalize it, but no, it doesn't have any rails running to the floor. I am at work, and unfortunately, when I get home it will be dark, but I will try to get a picture if he doesn't take it out of the truck today.

Back
Top Bottom