*sigh* I'm loosing my touch. (Warning: Hi-jacked by Em)

I did a century last year, my brother did it in 5 1/2 hours (including stops) and me and my father did it in six hours. It was called the Rivers Bridge Ramble. Very flat compared to what I like (I am a hilly type of person) but quite the challenge. I really want to go on The Assault of Mt. Michell, but we are moving from SC to NE. That sounds like a really nice bike! I have an R2000 Cannondale with a carbon fork. It is a lovely ride!
love.gif

Carbon fiber was just coming into vogue when we bought my Trek, so it was way outside our price range - the Andorian was pricey enough!

If you like hills, you'd love the Bridge to Bridge. It went from Hickory (NC) to the top of Grandfather Mountain, with a side jaunt to Blowing Rock to make it 100 miles. DH did it 3 times; I did it twice. There's one section, Highway 181, which went up Brown Mountain. There were 3 aid stations on Brown Mountain; I think we measured it as being 13 miles from the time it starts going up to the time it stops climbing. It's steeper at some times than at others, but there aren't any "breaks." There were some sections that were so steep, even on my lowest "granny gear," it was too much, and I'd get off and push the bike - it seemed like I was going the same speed whether riding or pushing. Killer! Then going down the back side of the mountain, we went screaming along at 65 MPH and just thinking course corrections (because of course you daren't actually try to steer at that speed!), and wondering if we have any brakes left should we really need to stop!
ep.gif

I remember talking to a friend about the ride. "So, what do you get if you finish?" he asked. "Braggin' rights!" I said, and he looked at me like I was totally nuts.
roll.png

And no offense, ladies, but allow me to have my doubts about the wedding day first kiss. That would go over really well, I'm sure!
gig.gif

ETA, Aha!
lau.gif

Last edited:
Well I've been putting up fence today...so I'm a bit tired. Capvin, I'm afraid Bunny is correct, at one point in my life, gibberish was my native tongue.
hide.gif

Carbon fiber was just coming into vogue when we bought my Trek, so it was way outside our price range - the Andorian was pricey enough!

If you like hills, you'd love the Bridge to Bridge. It went from Hickory (NC) to the top of Grandfather Mountain, with a side jaunt to Blowing Rock to make it 100 miles. DH did it 3 times; I did it twice. There's one section, Highway 181, which went up Brown Mountain. There were 3 aid stations on Brown Mountain; I think we measured it as being 13 miles from the time it starts going up to the time it stops climbing. It's steeper at some times than at others, but there aren't any "breaks." There were some sections that were so steep, even on my lowest "granny gear," it was too much, and I'd get off and push the bike - it seemed like I was going the same speed whether riding or pushing. Killer! Then going down the back side of the mountain, we went screaming along at 65 MPH and just thinking course corrections (because of course you daren't actually try to steer at that speed!), and wondering if we have any brakes left should we really need to stop!
ep.gif

I remember talking to a friend about the ride. "So, what do you get if you finish?" he asked. "Braggin' rights!" I said, and he looked at me like I was totally nuts.
roll.png

That is cool! Maybe I can get my father to have us go before we move. I really would like to go to Bucks county Pennsylvania. My father says they are the steepest hills you can find, you have to just walk up the hills (on your bike) at 4 miles per hour. I hope to prove him wrong.
gig.gif
The fastest I have gone is 45 miles per hour, I can't imagine 65! My father has gone 64 before though, in Bucks County I think. We have been cruising (for about a mile) at 35 miles per hour on flat, it is so fun to get up to speed and feel the 'freedom'. I agree about the bragging rights! When I did my first century, I bragged about it, and since I was 13, people were amazed.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom