Sight Sexing Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks at Hatch

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aoxa, Jun 28, 2013.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I go by legs alone. I keep track in 3 categories. Dark legs, Light legs and what the heck is this? lol

I get about even dark and light and there are these chicks that can't be categorized. The dark legs are always girls. The middle (?) group is either gender and the light is typically boys. I don't usually get girls with light legs, but it has happened. Once they have their wing feathers in it's pretty easy to tell.

[​IMG]
    Here is a recent example. I've raised so many Barred Plymouth Rocks this year that I have become very good at knowing by 2 weeks.

I never pay attention to the dot. It does not work for me! As you can even see in this picture. Girls are supposed to have defined dots.. but in this picture the male has the defined spot.

The down colour is also identical. The only difference I can clearly see at hatch are the legs.

[​IMG]
    Just for fun, here is a mom.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know what you mean about the head spot, Justine, but I have found with a couple I've had that there was some almost imperceptible "frosting" that came out on either side of a very small, sharp edged head spot that you'd usually ID as a pullet, which is the sign of a cockerel. With the hatchery males, it's more obvious most of the time. You really have to look closely to see it and in really good light, too. But, IMO, these old lines definitely are not quite as easy to sex as hatchery stock. Atlas, my current growing out cockerel out of Rex and Wynette, had a head spot like that and some leg black as well, but not much. Thought he was a pullet at first, but he was just the only male out of a group of five chicks with my broody Stukel hen, Dottie. Dottie, coincidentally, is also raising the chick I was talking about. It belongs to Rex out of big Ida, Rex's mother.

Hey, I got it! Had to use IE rather than that old version of FF, but here are the pics of the little one a few days. What do you think, Justine?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  3. aoxa

That little one is JUST like the what the heck is it category I have. Legs not dark all the way to the toes.

I don't rely on head spots alone, but that is what I'd think is a cockerel head spot if from a hatchery. It's long and does not stay in one distinct area..

I'm going to take photos of the chicks hatching right now when I get home and show you what I mean by the 3 different varieties of legs I get.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I was thinking you'd put this one in that category. Me, for now, I'm putting it in the cockerel category, going on head spot along with my first gut impression when he fell out of the egg. I saw a huge comb and prominent wattles and gargantuan legs, though when he fluffed up, that was not as apparent, being hidden by the baby fuzz.

5. hmalix75

hmalix75 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    East Bridgewater MA
    Hi
    Mine were not from a hatchery. Small breeder, she doesn't buy from Hatcheries. Either way they found a new home. Wasn't a fan of BRs.

6. lprice25

lprice25 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2014
    North fort Myers
    Good Afternoon, I am some what new to this page so I am unsure how to ask a question other than hit reply. I purchased this BR from a feed store and was told pullet. 'I'm unsure and the more I read I question it. Could please tell me what you think. I think she is about 2 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    Thank you in advance for you input!!!! :)

7. hmalix75

hmalix75 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2014
    East Bridgewater MA
    Looks Roo to Ms. But you may need to wait another week til more coloring comes in. Legs are suppose to be dark

8. lprice25

lprice25 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2014
    North fort Myers
    thank you. I will sit on it for a bit! Thanks again!

9. aoxa

Maybe the black sex links got mixed up with the barred rocks?

That is some really messy barring. More messy than I am used to seeing. If I went by the barring, I'd say pullet. The legs are really light!

10. jaymeellis06

jaymeellis06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Florahome, Florida
    Hi, can anyone tell me the sex of this chick. I have a feeling its a boy,but im not positive.He/she will be two weeks old on Saturday.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by