Sight Sexing Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks at Hatch

Pics
Yes, it sure does, but as you and I know, Justine, our BR lines just aren't so easy. I have a three day old BR chick that I'd post a photo of if I could, but I don't have that capability for some reason right now, not sure if it's BYC or my DH's computer (mine is in the shop). I'm positive it's a cockerel, was the moment he fell out of the egg-huge looking comb, visible wattles and Godzilla legs. Now, the head spot says "boy" as well to me, but he has some leg wash that most folks would normally associate with a pullet. Would love to get your opinion to back mine up (or contradict, whichever!). :)
I go by legs alone. I keep track in 3 categories. Dark legs, Light legs and what the heck is this? lol

I get about even dark and light and there are these chicks that can't be categorized. The dark legs are always girls. The middle (?) group is either gender and the light is typically boys. I don't usually get girls with light legs, but it has happened. Once they have their wing feathers in it's pretty easy to tell.

Here is a recent example. I've raised so many Barred Plymouth Rocks this year that I have become very good at knowing by 2 weeks.

I never pay attention to the dot. It does not work for me! As you can even see in this picture. Girls are supposed to have defined dots.. but in this picture the male has the defined spot.

The down colour is also identical. The only difference I can clearly see at hatch are the legs.

Just for fun, here is a mom.

I know what you mean about the head spot, Justine, but I have found with a couple I've had that there was some almost imperceptible "frosting" that came out on either side of a very small, sharp edged head spot that you'd usually ID as a pullet, which is the sign of a cockerel. With the hatchery males, it's more obvious most of the time. You really have to look closely to see it and in really good light, too. But, IMO, these old lines definitely are not quite as easy to sex as hatchery stock. Atlas, my current growing out cockerel out of Rex and Wynette, had a head spot like that and some leg black as well, but not much. Thought he was a pullet at first, but he was just the only male out of a group of five chicks with my broody Stukel hen, Dottie. Dottie, coincidentally, is also raising the chick I was talking about. It belongs to Rex out of big Ida, Rex's mother.

Hey, I got it! Had to use IE rather than that old version of FF, but here are the pics of the little one a few days. What do you think, Justine?

Last edited:
I know what you mean about the head spot, Justine, but I have found with a couple I've had that there was some almost imperceptible "frosting" that came out on either side of a very small, sharp edged head spot that you'd usually ID as a pullet, which is the sign of a cockerel. With the hatchery males, it's more obvious most of the time. You really have to look closely to see it and in really good light, too. But, IMO, these old lines definitely are not quite as easy to sex as hatchery stock. Atlas, my current growing out cockerel out of Rex and Wynette, had a head spot like that and some leg black as well, but not much. Thought he was a pullet at first, but he was just the only male out of a group of five chicks with my broody Stukel hen, Dottie. Dottie, coincidentally, is also raising the chick I was talking about. It belongs to Rex out of big Ida, Rex's mother.

Hey, I got it! Had to use IE rather than that old version of FF, but here are the pics of the little one a few days. What do you think, Justine?

That little one is JUST like the what the heck is it category I have. Legs not dark all the way to the toes.

I don't rely on head spots alone, but that is what I'd think is a cockerel head spot if from a hatchery. It's long and does not stay in one distinct area..

I'm going to take photos of the chicks hatching right now when I get home and show you what I mean by the 3 different varieties of legs I get.

That little one is JUST like the what the heck is it category I have. Legs not dark all the way to the toes.

I don't rely on head spots alone, but that is what I'd think is a cockerel head spot if from a hatchery. It's long and does not stay in one distinct area..

I'm going to take photos of the chicks hatching right now when I get home and show you what I mean by the 3 different varieties of legs I get.
I was thinking you'd put this one in that category. Me, for now, I'm putting it in the cockerel category, going on head spot along with my first gut impression when he fell out of the egg. I saw a huge comb and prominent wattles and gargantuan legs, though when he fluffed up, that was not as apparent, being hidden by the baby fuzz.

Good Afternoon, I am some what new to this page so I am unsure how to ask a question other than hit reply. I purchased this BR from a feed store and was told pullet. 'I'm unsure and the more I read I question it. Could please tell me what you think. I think she is about 2 weeks old.

Thank you in advance for you input!!!! :)

Good Afternoon, I am some what new to this page so I am unsure how to ask a question other than hit reply. I purchased this BR from a feed store and was told pullet. 'I'm unsure and the more I read I question it. Could please tell me what you think. I think she is about 2 weeks old.

Thank you in advance for you input!!!! :)
Maybe the black sex links got mixed up with the barred rocks?

That is some really messy barring. More messy than I am used to seeing. If I went by the barring, I'd say pullet. The legs are really light!

Back
Top Bottom