This is my first, so I'm pretty excited! So... just to make sure I know how it works... So I'll make the exact same square in the quantity as people who sign up, right? Then I'll send them all to the host, who will divide all the squares so everyone gets unique squares to connect with theirs... then everyone combines their new squares together to make their blanket... right?

This is my first, so I'm pretty excited! So... just to make sure I know how it works... So I'll make the exact same square in the quantity as people who sign up, right? Then I'll send them all to the host, who will divide all the squares so everyone gets unique squares to connect with theirs... then everyone combines their new squares together to make their blanket... right?
Yes, except you don't have to make the exact same square if you don't want to. Some people crochet the same block others get bored easily and crochet all different blocks. I think Bleenie is crocheting all different ones. I have participated in several and hosted a few and it is always sooooo exciting to get your box of squares. I like to try and "grow my crochet muscles" during the swaps experimenting w/ things I may not have done on my own.

Here are two blankets I've made from swap squares, the brown one is still in progress.

Welcome to the swap acemario! I got you put on the participant list :) You can do different kinds of squares or all the same, you can also do other colors that just brain cancer if you want to. (I went ahead and signed you up for that one though). I haven't decided yet if I am going to do a single ribbon color or some of each color, I will probably wait until sign ups are closed then decide. I have done a couple squares already, just kind of practicing ideas.

on post #1 there is a link to a pattern for an awareness ribbon applique that you can make then stitch onto a regular granny square, I think it would be a good pattern for a beginner.

Quote: Yes, except you don't have to make the exact same square if you don't want to. Some people crochet the same block others get bored easily and crochet all different blocks. I think Bleenie is crocheting all different ones. I have participated in several and hosted a few and it is always sooooo exciting to get your box of squares. I like to try and "grow my crochet muscles" during the swaps experimenting w/ things I may not have done on my own.

Here are two blankets I've made from swap squares, the brown one is still in progress.
Those r so cool! I've never made one out of granny squares. Is that fabric under the squares?? Look like it is, r u making it into a quilt?

Those r so cool! I've never made one out of granny squares. Is that fabric under the squares?? Look like it is, r u making it into a quilt?
Yes I call them fusion blankets they are pieced and quilted on one side and crocheted afghan on the other. I think I invented it, at least when I first had the idea I searched all over the internet to see if it had been done to get ideas about how to do it, and I didn't find any at all. I have seen where some people are sewing a two layer fabric square and doing a blanket stitch around the outer edge and crocheting them together

These are the quilted side of those two fusion blankets.

Kmart in Oklahoma doesn't either. I haven't looked yet, but Hobby Lobby carries lots of red heart so I don't know yet but doubt it will be a problem for me.

I've looked at JoAnns and Hobby Lobby (the two stores here that have the biggest selection of generic yarns) and neither of them had in Dark Orchid! I guess I'll be turning to the internet! (Or maybe one of them will order it in for me...!)

I've looked at JoAnns and Hobby Lobby (the two stores here that have the biggest selection of generic yarns) and neither of them had in Dark Orchid! I guess I'll be turning to the internet! (Or maybe one of them will order it in for me...!)
I didn't ask the store to order b/c they are out of my way to drive to, figured shipping would be cheaper and faster then me getting back to either store. I bet if I had asked at my local wally world that may have been an option though????? I don't know I am not a big wally world shopper so didn't think about it in time. I ordered off Ebay, I went to the redheart site, but was going to have to sign up since I don't have an account so I got lazy and thought I wonder if there is any available on ebay, there was so viola!

I have yet to pick up tyhe dark orchid also, I am pretty sure my local Joanns carries it though, they've got a pretty big selection of red heart.

I was going to upload that pattern i finished onto Ravelry but I don't have the program to create PDF's so it won't let me. Didn't feel like paying for it either, we got a new goat about a week ago and i've been trying to figure out what to do with/for her or find a rescue to take her. She had mastitis that turned into something vile and after talking to the vet today he said it looks like it's ready to fall off. Been driving myself nuts looking for ways to treat it or at least make her more comfortable. I think maybe I found a rescue that's willing to take her though so im keeping my fingers crossed!

I think I am going to combine these blocks w/ the flower blocks from the last swap for the finished blanket. Won't be 100% sure until I can put the blocks from both swaps together and see how they look together if they will compliment each other like I think they will.

A question for you guys ........................... Gary, my husband said the ribbon tails on my ribbon look odd. I have them asymmetrical on purpose, what do you guys think, are they odd looking this way, would they be better symmetrical?

Back
Top Bottom