Significant comb damage - help!

It would be ideal for both of you to attempt this. A vet could do it safely as well. The people who are familiar with gamefowl are usually experts at dubbing, and I am sure they do a good job. I would try to decide whether you only need fo remove the part that is loose, or go ahead an remove it all. Leaving part of the comb that is attached might be a better option, but up to you.

6563442B-110A-4078-B287-BDAC9115BF4B.jpeg
10BB81C6-5C70-4FC2-8A90-15224588DFC7.jpeg
790E145A-F480-4CFA-A15C-CAECB69C3271.jpeg

*i would not bother with vitamin k at this point and also wouldn’t use an anesthetic. It would be over in the blink of an eye.

I will advise you though that you must commit to the stroke of your scissors because the comb of a chicken is surprisingly firm.

One of my girls has been attacked by a fox through the wire of the run and her comb is half ripped off.

It was a beautiful big comb, and it is now only attached by about a centimetre at the front, and is flopping in her eyes. I've given her a bath and got off as much blood as I can, although the bit around her eyes is difficult. I've got her in with me asI know I need to separate her from the others.

I have a violet antibacterial spray, which I will try to put on when she is dry enough. I am not sure what to do about the hanging comb though. It is in her eyes and is clearly bothering her, she keeps tossing her head to move it, which isn't going to help with healing, and already seems to have drawn fresh blood since her bath. Do I have to cut it off? I can't bear the thought of hurting her more. The end of it which is ripped away is already a funny dark colour :-(

I wondered about trying to bandage it so it stays still? I can't see how it can heal where it is completely detached though. Any advice?

I have attached some photos but I haven't got the best angle.

You should dub it unless it get infected
I dub my roos extra extra large comb that trouble his breat ND neck

Attachments

• IMG_20181003_113331_036.jpg
    IMG_20181003_113331_036.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 12
@Saaniya’s rooster’s spine at his neck was becoming deformed by the compression of the sheer weight of his comb, making breathing and eating very difficult for him.

I really want u to save ur pet life dubbing can save his life otherwise it won't heal the way it is and give ur chicken a good performance and longitivity in his health

I was also scare before dubbing but it worth the 5 sec bleeding for saving his life

It's already hanging u only need to cut the rest he will recover fast do it friend

Thank you for all the great advice. Unfortunately there are no decent chicken vets near us (having taken a bird once before, I know they just don't have experience), so I am going to go for it when my husband is home tonight. It was such a beautiful comb that it makes me very sad, but it is never going to be back as it was and as you all say, this is what is best for her. Thanks for the link, the book pictures, and the wrapping video.

I don't know where I'd be without this forum.

Back
Top Bottom