Silencing a rooster

Pics
They are sweet. Not super loud either (in terms of roosters). Enjoy him! Post some photos too : )

You saw the rooster diaper, right? LOL If it works...
The diapers are great! I tried a few, but the only one I found that works and doesn't make my fella miserable is a (pricey) one from Avian Fashions. But it has been a game changer. Not literally, of course because he's a Sebright - not a game rooster.

I have a difficult decision to make. One of my four new chicks is a rooster. Hopefully the only one.

He is a pretty awesome bird. Tame, allows me to pick him up easily and likes my big hens. They all share our yard plus an 18 x 16 pen.

We live in the city where chickens are not welcomed. Either I find a way to keep him quiet or he has to go.

Going away is a problem. I haven't found any takers. A few places are dealing with predator problems and have lost several birds. Tried the collar but he freaks out something awful. Even had a friend who uses one check it out. Luci does not tolerate the collar.

Lucifer (previously Lucille) is not loud (yet) nor does he crow a lot. I've accustomed the chick flock to stay in their ample coop until at least 8:30am. I have to be quiet in the morning or he will call for me. There is food water treats and multiple levels for them to hop around. My big girls are in a different coop next to the the chick coop. They're very quiet until they see or hear me. Then they too call for me.

Now, I'm cognizant of the fact that Luci will get louder and more active as he matures.

Short of building them an actual house is there anything I can do? I don't want to mutilate his vocal chords but I don't want to endanger him either.

Help!
We had this happen also. So sad to give him up but we had to. We found a person who lives in the country and has chickens but no rooster. He took him and has had him for three years now and loves him. He sends us pictures every once in a while. He is a very pretty rooster. I wish we could have kept him but we were in town and couldn't.

We had this happen also. So sad to give him up but we had to. We found a person who lives in the country and has chickens but no rooster. He took him and has had him for three years now and loves him. He sends us pictures every once in a while. He is a very pretty rooster. I wish we could have kept him but we were in town and couldn't.
I love that you get pictures of him! So sweet!

I found myself in a similar situation, with my favorite of 4 chicks turning out to be male. The first time I tried putting on the No-crow collar it was a disaster. But I waited a few days, and tried again just at bedtime. I put it on loosely, but tight enough that it would stay on, then tightened it up about 2 days later.
He is wearing it without issues, and it is making his crowing softer. He still crows and makes all the other chicken noises, just not as loudly. He also engages in all his other normal activities, though it took about a day. When I put the collar on at bedtime, I also held him for a long time then let him roam around a little before setting him in the coop, to make sure he was reasonably comfortable and safe.
It could be worth a second shot at the collar if you're still struggling with re-homing.

Attachments

• annabelle.jpg
    annabelle.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 0
I found myself in a similar situation, with my favorite of 4 chicks turning out to be male. The first time I tried putting on the No-crow collar it was a disaster. But I waited a few days, and tried again just at bedtime. I put it on loosely, but tight enough that it would stay on, then tightened it up about 2 days later.
He is wearing it without issues, and it is making his crowing softer. He still crows and makes all the other chicken noises, just not as loudly. He also engages in all his other normal activities, though it took about a day. When I put the collar on at bedtime, I also held him for a long time then let him roam around a little before setting him in the coop, to make sure he was reasonably comfortable and safe.
It could be worth a second shot at the collar if you're still struggling with re-homing.
How old is he and how long has he been wearing the collar?
Does he wear it 24/7 or just at night?

Thanks for this message. They are indeed all four roosters. I found a safe place for them and will be moving them over this week. I'll miss the little guys. They're pretty quiet for a bunch of roos. : )

Back
Top Bottom