Silicone mat on the bottom of coop for ease of cleaning?

@tomik261

You want granulated zeolite not powdered. It is also used as a soil amendment so check with your garden center; I recall a lady in Alberta finding something other than PDZ but made from zeolite, I don't think she reported back on effectiveness.

This is the product most commonly used in the US. Not sold in Canada and shipping takes the cost from $12 to $80 so not used except by those of us close to the US border and a Tractor Supply outlet.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/pdz?
Thanks for the reply I just searched it up and found this I appearently it's around .25 inches per piece. It's quite cheap but I can't imagine what cleaning with this would be like. Any tips?

Forgot the link here it is also it's in my native language but the main thing is the image https://akvarioverastliny.sk/4aqua-...kHxhdiCJ_UokJ3_QaPsiiFLGtXQSwkpgaAhx2EALw_wcB

Thanks for the reply I just searched it up and found this I appearently it's around .25 inches per piece. It's quite cheap but I can't imagine what cleaning with this would be like. Any tips?

Forgot the link here it is also it's in my native language but the main thing is the image https://akvarioverastliny.sk/4aqua-...kHxhdiCJ_UokJ3_QaPsiiFLGtXQSwkpgaAhx2EALw_wcB
I think that the granules are a bit too big I searched up what the refreshener looked like and it was more like sand that gravel.

Certainly it look more like small rocks than sand (you are correct in that description).

However, it's main function is to dry the droppings thereby eliminating the ammonia which causes smells. At that price it might be worth an experiment?

My concern would be how to separate the zeolite from droppings given the size of zeolite chunks. Random thought - can those chunks be further broken down in a home environment?

Worth noting that a 25lb bag lasts me a couple of months as I only keep the drop boards covered with ~1/2".

Last edited:
Certainly it look more like small rocks than sand (you are correct in that description).

However, it's main function is to dry the droppings thereby eliminating the ammonia which causes smells. At that price it might be worth an experiment?

My concern would be how to separate the zeolite from droppings given the size of zeolite chunks. Random thought - can those chucks be further broken down in a home environment?

Worth noting that a 25lb bag lasts me a couple of months as I only keep the drop boards covered with ~1/2".
They couldn't be broken at home down but I found one that's around 1mm which is like 0.04 inches that would probably be better right? And for the cleaning I usually use this sorta scapula with the zeolite it would probably be better to use a shovel? And my last concern is if it would get in the way as I put the poop immediately into compost but I don't think that would be a huge problem. Thanks for keeping up.

I can't help on the PDZ discussion but just responding to your first question about silicone mats.
I do something like this on a very small scale in the brooder/hospital ward that I have built in to my much larger walk-in coop.
The brooder is about 1.5m x 1m.
I use a mat in the base and pine shavings on top of it. That does indeed make clean out very easy - I just pull out the mat and empty it out on the floor!
Mine is a very cheap mat - not silicone. It is intended to be used for cats to stop them tracking cat litter around the house and I just cut it to size for my brooder.
One thing I would caution with adult chickens is they like to dig. Mine dig quite deep holes and their feet and claws are strong. I could see them ripping up a mat pretty easily.
Hope that helps.

I can't help on the PDZ discussion but just responding to your first question about silicone mats.
I do something like this on a very small scale in the brooder/hospital ward that I have built in to my much larger walk-in coop.
The brooder is about 1.5m x 1m.
I use a mat in the base and pine shavings on top of it. That does indeed make clean out very easy - I just pull out the mat and empty it out on the floor!
Mine is a very cheap mat - not silicone. It is intended to be used for cats to stop them tracking cat litter around the house and I just cut it to size for my brooder.
One thing I would caution with adult chickens is they like to dig. Mine dig quite deep holes and their feet and claws are strong. I could see them ripping up a mat pretty easily.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply I don't think they would dig into that as they free range Durning the day. I'm probably going to try the zeolite first. And if I find anything rubbery or so I would try it in our smaller coop.

@aart is my go to source on all things chicken. Advice is always as good as one can get. Certainly the 1mm size sound better than your first size.

To clear the droppings from the PDZ I use a large feed scoop and a small scraper to move stuff into it. I then dump into a mesh office tray and sift back and forth so the PDZ falls through leaving droppings behind. Then into a container for disposal. Typically I pick up close to 50% of the PDZ for sifting so very little litter is left behind.

Sifting raises dust so a mask is recommended!!

Zeolite is used as a soil amendment, can go into the compost and garden without issues.

Here is picture of my tools along with complimentary shot of PDZ, the stuff one is removing and a couple of my eight week old Chanteclers.

Good luck and do give us feedback on how the zeolite product you try works out.

IMG_20230902_161024_502.jpg

@aart is my go to source on all things chicken. Advice is always as good as one can get. Certainly the 1mm size sound better than your first size.

To clear the droppings from the PDZ I use a large feed scoop and a small scraper to move stuff into it. I then dump into a mesh office tray and sift back and forth so the PDZ falls through leaving droppings behind. Then into a container for disposal. Typically I pick up close to 50% of the PDZ for sifting so very little litter is left behind.

Sifting raises dust so a mask is recommended!!

Zeolite is used as a soil amendment, can go into the compost and garden without issues.

Here is picture of my tools along with complimentary shot of PDZ, the stuff one is removing and a couple of my eight week old Chanteclers.

Good luck and do give us feedback on how the zeolite product you try works out.

View attachment 3626442
Thank you very much for staying you've been really helpful and quick to respond. I'll report back again when I get to using it

And also I did a little researching right now and found that zeolite also contains crystalline silica. If I'm lying then correct me please but I think that PDZ is made from zeolite. I'm not sure though I use a respirator when working in the coop and with this stuff so if DE is dangerous in any way I would like to know
. Again thanks for the replies
PDZ is made from zeolite. I also want to know what difference there is. This is what I found:

"...Diatomaceous Earth (DE) and Zeolite [are both silica-based materials, but their compositions and structures differ significantly]....

DE is derived from the fossilized remains of microscopic marine organisms whose skeletons are composed of a natural type of silica. This gives DE its unique porous and abrasive properties...

On the contrary, Zeolites are crystalline structures that contain hydrated aluminosilicates, often with aluminum atoms integrated into their framework. The result is a set of complex, cage-like structures that allow Zeolites to act as sieves or filters at the molecular level, enabling various applications.

Insecticide Properties
Both DE and Zeolite have demonstrated insecticidal properties, although they function differently. DE’s microscopic sharp particles can penetrate the protective exoskeleton of insects, causing them to dehydrate and die.

Zeolite, in contrast, is primarily used as a pesticide carrier due to its high adsorption capacity. Its porous structure can trap and slowly release pesticides, enhancing the effectiveness of these substances..." source

DE and Zeolite are similar to diamond and graphite; the same chemical make up has structures that are very different.

Zeolite isn't as dangerous as DE but it is not completely safe either. Most fine dust can cause health problems when it is breathed in.

Sorry about the kind of source it is, I picked it because it was clear and concise. The more impressive sources seem to me to confirm the information but none were very clear, concise, or complete in the information I wanted to know.

Back
Top Bottom