Silkie acting strange

Jess_

Hatching
Nov 9, 2023
Hello!
One of my silkie hens is acting very strange. Approximately 5 months old. She is very quiet not her usual self. She also keeps doing this strange neck/head jerking movement. They recently had mites for the first time and have been treated along with their coop. When I noticed her strange behaviour I checked for mites and sure enough they did. Since being treated she is still doing it and wondering if anyone has experienced the same. I have uploaded videos.
Thankyou

Last edited:
For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

If she's got mites, perhaps they are in her head pouf, around her and in her ears? That would make me have some neck and head jerking.

I'd also check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight - sometimes head and neck movements can be adjusting the crop as well.

How are you treating the mites? Permethrin based Poultry dust or spray can be an effective way of treating mites, but it needs to be repeated in 5 day intervals to break the cycle. Housing needs to be cleaned out and treated weekly too, making sure to get roosting bars, nesting boxes, nooks/crannies where mites hide and come out to feed on the birds.

For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

If she's got mites, perhaps they are in her head pouf, around her and in her ears? That would make me have some neck and head jerking.

I'd also check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight - sometimes head and neck movements can be adjusting the crop as well.

How are you treating the mites? Permethrin based Poultry dust or spray can be an effective way of treating mites, but it needs to be repeated in 5 day intervals to break the cycle. Housing needs to be cleaned out and treated weekly too, making sure to get roosting bars, nesting boxes, nooks/crannies where mites hide and come out to feed on the birds.
Thankyou, I treated with Diatomaceous Earth and also Permethrin spray, completely dug up their coop and used bifenthrin on the dirt, nesting boxes nooks and crannies, spread Diatomaceous Earth all over the floor and walls and provided a dirt bath box with wood ash, sand and Diatomaceous Earth. I have put 2 drops of vegetable oil in her ears to see if that helps.

Thankyou, I treated with Diatomaceous Earth and also Permethrin spray, completely dug up their coop and used bifenthrin on the dirt, nesting boxes nooks and crannies, spread Diatomaceous Earth all over the floor and walls and provided a dirt bath box with wood ash, sand and Diatomaceous Earth. I have put 2 drops of vegetable oil in her ears to see if that helps.
I wouldn't use Diotomaetous Earth, it doesn't work and can cause respiratory issues. So can ashes.
What's her diet? Silkies are probe to vitamin deficiency, strange head movements are often an indication of that.

I wouldn't use Diotomaetous Earth, it doesn't work and can cause respiratory issues. So can ashes.
What's her diet? Silkies are probe to vitamin deficiency, strange head movements are often an indication of that.
She is on pullet grower food, a liquid vitamin and mineral added to her water and also gets fruit and veg scraps.

Are you in the U.S.?
If you, you should be able to find Permethrin based poultry dust at stores like TSC.
I would dust her with Permethrin, put a small amount in a sock, then use this like a powder puff to work the dust all over her, making sure to work through the feathers all the way to the skin. Don't forget to work some of the dust into her pouf. Repeat dusting her in 5 day intervals.

Use your spray to treat housing in 5 day intervals. Mites are very hard to get rid of.

If there's mites or infection in the ears, then I'd put 1 drop of Peroxide in the ears to bubble out debris and mites. Oil might be o.k. but I'd not use a lot.

Back
Top Bottom