Silkie Baby Broody... ((update and Pic)) update pg4

She will be ok she is new to this she will eat and drink when she is ready. One of my hens she is 2 years old and when she goes broody she does not eat or drink for 21 days. She looses alot of weight but will not eat she does not eat till chicks hatch and are ready to be mobile. Just keep offering her food and water.

Wow, our Silkie is almost two years old and when she dicides to brood, it never last too long.
lol.png
You have one tuffy, over there!

Quote:
I know huh, what come to my mind about her broodieness is the word "fierce"....she is so cute....she never growls rather puffs up and purrs....I believe she trusts me though......
love.gif
jumpy.gif
love.gif

Speckledhen has a hen that when she went broody, she nearly died. I dont know all the details of it, but the chickenS name is Sunny.

She tried repeatedly to break her broodiness I know. She could certainly tell you more.

I am not sure how well they could do without at least water for 21 days. Mine finally started getting up once a day after I put the water and food very near her, and to go poo, but she only did this after the first couple weeks, when i started really worrying about her.

To be perfectly honest, mine went broody in the house, and would only eat high protein stuff, she wanted special things for me to cook for her. lol I was so worried that I actually was cooking for her.

Good luck, she is a gorgeous lil thang!

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh man she looks mad at you! Isn't that trance thing weird? Our Red Star Rita will do that when she's on the box, not neccessarily broody... You can move her head up, down around and she'll KEEP it like that.

Good luck!
fl.gif

We had a BO go broody last Spring, and as I was new at all of this, I was really worried about her. One book I have recommends shooing them off the nest for 10 - 15 minutes, hanging around to make sure she doesn't stay off too long. This was in March in Wisconsin. She would poop, eat a little eat a bit of snow (don't know why she ignored the water!) and head back to the nest. Hatched 10 chicks from 11 eggs! Good Luck!!!!

We also have shooed away our girl in the past. I'd bring her to a nice patch of dirt and she would ALWAYS take a dust bath, I believe to rid herself of anything that can hurt her babies, or maybe it was to help her keep whatever sanity her crazy-broody-mother body she still retained? I don't know, I always like a nice bath when I go through some stress.
idunno.gif
Then she'd eat some grass, poop, and run back to the nest making some chirping sounds. She would never leave by herself. And I'd always protect the eggs like a good helper while she's taking some free time. What a good Mama.

So, I'm 100% with Pam on this one.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
She is very pretty! My Silkie is 7 months and setting on her first clutch of eggs. We have food and water within reach. She could probably just lean forward enough to eat. Mom has brought water to her and once she starts to drink, she will for quite a bit. So sometimes you can offer them something. Like someone else said, you may need to dip her beak in the water to remind her what is there. Hopefully she will do well... not much longer for her to set!

Back
Top Bottom