Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Fancy Feathers, Jul 19, 2012.

1. ChicksNherps

ChicksNherps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2012
    Bow, NH
    Hachi WAS in the woods, right on the edge. The other two booked it for the brush.

2. LaPetiteFarmer

LaPetiteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Vista, CA
    Really? That is crazy!
    Where do you live? Is it the first time you lose on of your chicken by a hawk?

3. Adoravachick

Adoravachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Near Cobleskill, NY
    Happy Thanksgiving All! I hope you have a wonderful day![​IMG]

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Same thing happened with a sizzle rooster of mine. Fortunately the Goshawk was scared off and rooster was fine.

Goshawks hunt in the woods and prefer lots of tree cover so they can ambush their prey :(

[​IMG]
    Here's the Northern Goshawk

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  5. ChicksNherps

Jun 17, 2012
    Bow, NH
    It wasn't a goshhawk, it was a medium sized brownish one, maybe a peragrin falcon? It wasn't bigger than her I did see that. I'm in new hampshire and I have never had a hawk problem before but like already said they are migrating so I guess one was hungry enough to take her down. Out of all of them I wouldn't expect her to be the one to get killed though, she was the strongest of the bunch.

6. aoxa

I'm sorry :(

Poor thing. I pen my silkies now because they just can't see to go for cover.

I don't think the Goshawk will be back. They are secretive hunters, and do not like to hunt near humans.

7. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Did you breed the paints yourself or did you buy hatching eggs? It is hard for me to believe that those 2 came from paint breeding.

8. ChicksNherps

Jun 17, 2012
    Bow, NH
    Yeah as soon as I walked out the door it flew off. But I will keep them inside from now on when I am not around or my dog isn't out there. My rooster is no help [​IMG]

9. aoxa

[​IMG]
    Edna the blue partridge @ 24 weeks now. Starting to stand pretty :)

[​IMG]
    Fluffy butt :love

[​IMG]
    And so disappointed that I let someone hatch my eggs, and they ended up with Chippie here. Considering stealing him away in the middle of the night :oops: lol

10. aoxa

I wouldn't expect a polish bantam rooster to help. They are quite stupid when it comes to that sort of thing. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by