Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

First batch I got from Catdance, she said (P) stood for Partridge.
idunno.gif
i was talking to her last night as i know someone who just got eggs off her and pa=paint P=partridge and p2= partridge pair

So sorry about the loss of your pet splashes...we lost a little buff roo today he wasnt well and just passed away..so sad....i dont turn my silkies out just to scared as we have all kinds of raptors around including bald eagles...so they get to exercise in the barn...i have never heard of Marecks being passed at a show but i guess anything is possible...I have had birds come down with minor respiratory stuff from shows especially if the show is too warm for them as they get too stressed...you have to be careful what you use to vaccinate your flock with...Marecks is safe and there is a new LTI vaccination which doesnt create carriers but you should always give your birds 6 weeks or more before you show them to let the vaccination reaction is done....i think the fowl pox vaccine might be safe too,,,,

So sorry about the loss of your pet splashes...we lost a little buff roo today he wasnt well and just passed away..so sad....i dont turn my silkies out just to scared as we have all kinds of raptors around including bald eagles...so they get to exercise in the barn...i have never heard of Marecks being passed at a show but i guess anything is possible...I have had birds come down with minor respiratory stuff from shows especially if the show is too warm for them as they get too stressed...you have to be careful what you use to vaccinate your flock with...Marecks is safe and there is a new LTI vaccination which doesnt create carriers but you should always give your birds 6 weeks or more before you show them to let the vaccination reaction is done....i think the fowl pox vaccine might be safe too,,,,

I'm very sorry for your loss, especially on this holiday.

Debating whether to hold onto these two partridge silkies or not. They come from paint eggs, so not sure how true they would breed, any thoughts on that? Are the colors predictable from these two or would it be a mystery until the chicks are born? They are just shy of two months.

First is not partridge. Partridge has gold ground colouring, and your first girl is silver. Second is indeed partridge. First MIGHT work for paint breeding--the silver gene should make whiter paints. However, either will work quite well in breeding with like-coloured birds: grey and partridge, respectively.

It wasn't a goshhawk, it was a medium sized brownish one, maybe a peragrin falcon? It wasn't bigger than her I did see that. I'm in new hampshire and I have never had a hawk problem before but like already said they are migrating so I guess one was hungry enough to take her down. Out of all of them I wouldn't expect her to be the one to get killed though, she was the strongest of the bunch.
Falcons typically take birds in flight, and unless pretty hungry aren't a significant threat to ground dwelling animals.

Quote: The question to ask is what colours were in the specific pen. And verify with her which markings are for which varieties. What you see will tell you some things about the genes the bird carries; knowing background information can tell you more. Between the two, you can gather a fair amount of what the genotype for that individual bird is, and that is what you need to know in deciding on who to breed to, not necessarily the background it popped out from.

I have been wondering if you have Oleander? He wouldn't intentionally eat it but a tiny chip would be enough. One leaf will kill a horse and it's very popular in CA.
Precious memories....
She is really a beauty! I still like that boy.
big_smile.png
No I don't have any Oleander but we have lavender, hibiscus, bird of paradises and trumpet trees (which I heard are poisonous, but I don't think he ate any that day because he wasn't on that side of the yard).

No, they were marked as paint (P) not partridge (PA) as she marks them. Trust me I check closely on everything ;) Now whether she mismarked them during collection I can't tell you. Why would you doubt they came out of paint breeding? I'm just trying to determine if bred would they breed true or pass off mystery colors coming from paint breeding. I also have a blue pullet that came from paint eggs from a different breeder that I have held on to. I sold the paint from that hatch as it had a funky comb. Thanks :)

I have hers as well and yes ...P stands for partridge and Pa stands for paint...So I think you have them around the wrong way...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom