Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Looks like a partridge silkie? Could be wrong though....
hu.gif
If he was partridge, he would be displaying red or gold on head hackles, back, saddle, not silver. This is partridge:

Last edited:
Quote: Yes, silver (S) is dominant to gold (s+). Same gene, different alleles. It is also a sex-linked gene, with males having two copies of the gene: S/S, S/s+ or s+/s+. These are referred to as silver, golden and gold, respectively. Golden is creamy/brassy coloured, not a clear silvery, as is this boy.

All his offspring will inherit a copy of silver from him. His daughters will be silver (S/-), If paired with a partridge hen, his sons will be golden (S/s+).

Here is a splash silkie!
Adorable photo!
He is silver with autosomal red or mahogany, asiatic partridge (e^b) base. His offspring will all inherit silver, asiatic partridge and almost certainly the mahogany or autosomal red (could be both).

Sonoran, I sometimes hear autosomal red described as leaking red. Is that correct terminology? If not why?

Last edited:
I have a golden rooster with silver hens. Can I determine the sex of the offspring based on their color?
Yes, silver (S) is dominant to gold (s+).  Same gene, different alleles.  It is also a sex-linked gene, with males having two copies of the gene:  S/S, S/s+ or s+/s+.  These are referred to as silver, golden and gold, respectively.  Golden is creamy/brassy coloured, not a clear silvery, as is this boy.

All his offspring will inherit a copy of silver from him.  His daughters will be silver (S/-),   If paired with a partridge hen, his sons will be golden (S/s+).

Quote: Well, they don't really mean the same thing. Leakage or leaking is colour that isn't supposed to be there. Now with silkies, unless you have a true red bird or maybe a partridge, you probably don't want autosomal red. In this case it would be considered leakage. Autosomal red is not well documented, and is probably not a single gene, but more likely a combination of genes.

Well, they don't really mean the same thing. Leakage or leaking is colour that isn't supposed to be there. Now with silkies, unless you have a true red bird or maybe a partridge, you probably don't want autosomal red. In this case it would be considered leakage. Autosomal red is not well documented, and is probably not a single gene, but more likely a combination of genes.

Okay, thanks!

Ok thnx for the kind comment i my baby smokey, [the present] is really love [it] any idea on its gender?
Srry i was wrong about the partridge thing, just new to this and not that good in the genetics technecallities....

Back
Top Bottom