Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Just got back from The ABA national in Stockton Ca....Western Silkie National Show................My daughter Brooke got Res of breed with a pullet just turning 6 months from Catdance. Love Karen's stock.Just imagine how stunning she will be in 2 more months.

Congratulations!!! (I hope my beautiful white Catdance babies grow up this nice! My avatar is one of hers .... )

Last edited:
I keep track of every parent of every chick so if something pops up I can track and see if its happening again and how frequently. It's more work of course but worth the extra effort.
How do you keep track of each parent? Do you have breeding pairs; rooster with one hen? Or do you have several hens with one rooster? Makes sense to be able to keep track of these things with one hen only.. I couldn't tell which hen laid which egg even if I had two hens in a pen.
lol.png

GOSH NOSE lol that reminds me i gotta get goin on my breedin charts before hatching season ..ahhh!!!!!!!!!!
What kind of breeding charts do you guys keep? I'm going to have to make up something when I do my FIRST breeding in the spring!
wee.gif

Just got back from The ABA national in Stockton Ca....Western Silkie National Show................My daughter Brooke got Res of breed with a pullet just turning 6 months from Catdance. Love Karen's stock.Just imagine how stunning she will be in 2 more months.
Awesome! Nice little pullet too. I don't think my 6 month old Catdance pullet is quite as nice as yours. Pretty close...not seeing the rest of the body.
big_smile.png

Congratulations!

I wanted to get your thoughts on these two boy. Comments and critiques welcome.
Another one of my black cockerels, this one is from a pure black pen. 6 months old. I am worried about a slight slipped wing on one side.

I am still thinking about selling this cockerel. He has very nice wings tight wings. I feel like he looks a little off balance, like his tai should be a little more full?

Congratulations to Brooke!

Another one of my black cockerels, this one is from a pure black pen. 6 months old. I am worried about a slight slipped wing on one side.

I am still thinking about selling this cockerel. He has very nice wings tight wings. I feel like he looks a little off balance, like his tai should be a little more full?

I am thinking about not selling until I have a replacement first. Last summer, I placed a beautiful pure black pullet with a slight crooked beak in a pet home, and now wish that I had bred her first...

How do you keep track of each parent? Do you have breeding pairs; rooster with one hen? Or do you have several hens with one rooster? Makes sense to be able to keep track of these things with one hen only.. I couldn't tell which hen laid which egg even if I had two hens in a pen. :lol:

What kind of breeding charts do you guys keep? I'm going to have to make up something when I do my FIRST breeding in the spring! :weee

Awesome! Nice little pullet too. I don't think my 6 month old Catdance pullet is quite as nice as yours. Pretty close...not seeing the rest of the body. :D
Congratulations!

i really need to revise mine cauze i know im missing some syuff in it...but things like the breeding pair- color-band number-and anything that may be a genetic defect to look for so u know who the culpreet is thats some of the stuff j can think of now i might post my finished chart later if i remember... anybody else have any input????

Has that pretty black cockerel always had low wings or just since maturing? How is his wing fan? Any pins feathers in that white's tail? You don't say how old he is but most roos continue to improve until they are at least a year old.
Congratulations to Brooke!

I am thinking about not selling until I have a replacement first. Last summer, I placed a beautiful pure black pullet with a slight crooked beak in a pet home, and now wish that I had bred her first...
Wise decision. :)

Has that pretty black cockerel always had low wings or just since maturing? How is his wing fan? Any pins feathers in that white's tail? You don't say how old he is but most roos continue to improve until they are at least a year old.
They are both 6 months old. They both have surprisingly nice wings. The white has developed horns at the top of his comb. What are your thoughts on the horns?

The black is from Dylan's silkies, I was told to hold onto him because he will be a nice bird, just slow to mature. He started out very light for a black and has really darkened over the past few months. He has dropped his wings though, he's a bit of a show off for th ladies.

They are both 6 months old. They both have surprisingly nice wings. The white has developed horns at the top of his comb. What are your thoughts on the horns?

The black is from Dylan's silkies, I was told to hold onto him because he will be a nice bird, just slow to mature. He started out very light for a black and has really darkened over the past few months. He has dropped his wings though, he's a bit of a show off for th ladies.
I'm sure there are some that don't drop their wings at sexual maturity but I don't have any.
tongue.png
I believe Sonoran said it was pretty easy to breed out horns but on a roo they do get bigger so if they are real obvious it could make a decision on using him or showing. My understanding is that some judges mark down heavily on horns and some don't. Those perfect birds are hard to come by. LOL!

hit.gif
I am so disappointed that this chick's beak is twisted, its one of the nicest chicks. Very typey.

How can you tell typiness in a chick? How old are they? Mine are about a month, and I am dying to tell if they are as amazing as I hope they'll be!

I already have some guesses as to the sex of a few. My buff is the smallest and I haven't seen it fighting at all, as some of the others have been. I am going to name her Miss Bessie :)

Back
Top Bottom