Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

I've done tons of reading. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. But the Infectious Coryza seems to fit the bill perfectly. We do have a vet appointment for next week. Didn't think it would hurt to ask anyway.
There are so many different things is could be and hopefully it is just one of another respiratory ailments that isnt as infecitous. If you treat and have more that develop the same symptoms you may need to know what you are dealing with. My understanding is that Infectious Coryza when treated and survived will still cause birds to be carriers of the disease. I think there is a vaccine ? You are lucky to have a vet that will tend your chickens. Here we dont closer than about a 3 hour drive. Keep us posted..

Opinions? Boy or girl? Critiques?

First and last pictures make me say boy. Looks like a bumpy comb is starting to develop. But I have a pullet that had that when she was little.
roll.png

Aoxa, I would guess girl on your little baby. I think she looks just like Pearl!
fl.gif

Last edited:
There are so many different things is could be and hopefully it is just one of another respiratory ailments that isnt as infecitous. If you treat and have more that develop the same symptoms you may need to know what you are dealing with. My understanding is that Infectious Coryza when treated and survived will still cause birds to be carriers of the disease. I think there is a vaccine ? You are lucky to have a vet that will tend your chickens. Here we dont closer than about a 3 hour drive. Keep us posted..
We got lucky with the vet situation. One of our old students is currently studying to be a vet in UConn and they are taking one of the chickens for a closer look. I haven't been able to find a vet that would actually come to the farm..

We got lucky with the vet situation. One of our old students is currently studying to be a vet in UConn and they are taking one of the chickens for a closer look. I haven't been able to find a vet that would actually come to the farm..
That is great... I am about 5 hours from Davis if I need real answers but no vet that knows anything about birds close. My regular vet is great about listening to what I know or have been told and helping out where she can though.

I supplement with free choice alfalfa, sunflower seeds, flax seed, with boiled eggs, fruit and veges on occasion. I just started a meal worm farm (very easy by the way). I've have had chickens on my ranch for over 20 years with hundreds of wild birds because we have many decorative ponds, and I have never had any disease or even colds. I really have no idea why. Maybe I have the perfect elevation (3000 ft) or maybe the low humidity or it could all hit me tomorrow. I don't buy live birds and I don't show. My buyers show their birds and that is good enough for me. I get to live vicariously through them as I did this weekend. Two pullets I raised, splash and blue got BV. :D (I confess I did not breed one of them. It was from a Catdance egg.
Thank you for always giving good advice and helping everybody. Your silkies are gorgeous, because of your patience and hard work.
For all my BYC peeps, this is chicksnherps. My laptop was stolen and I am unable to retrieve my old password... SO! This is me and this will most likely be the name of my farm
big_smile.png
I am sorry you got your laptop stolen! Arg!
Thank you! That is my girl "Betty White". She produced two gorgeous pullets for me last fall.
She is definitely a cutie! Beautiful girl!
I suggest putting 3 hens in two separate pens. Rotate the rooster between the pens every 3-4 days. Hens can store the roosters sperm for 2-3 weeks, so a mating every day is not needed.

Some will say put all 6 hens in with him, but then he has too many choices to mate with and will only mate with the ones he chooses.

If your rooster is very old, try 1-2 hens for him.

My fertility is best with only 2-3 hens per rooster, no need to shave them.

Another method is to only mate 3 hens of the 6. Remove the rooster for 3 days, then put him back in the pen with the hens for 3 days.
Then remove him again and repeat the process. This should increase fertility, because you are giving the rooster time to rest before the next mating.

I often use the above method when mating my best birds to increase fertility and to prevent over mating damage to my hens.
Thank you for opening up about your breeding method. It seems to be a bit taboo. When I started researching about breeding I had a difficult time finding answers. And actually I still do LOL

I went to a breeding seminar taught by DR. Bramwell of  University of Arkansas.   He said the sperm is piled on layer by layer and the older sperm is absorbed and the newer is used to fertilize.

He said that in 3 days the newer roosters sperm will fertilize the eggs.* Exception: If either one is new to mating ( too young and just started breeding)
  It was taught that it is not needed to wait 3 weeks for the hen to empty, before breeding to a new male.

He actually did a test to prove his theory at one point in time. 

I would assume this was and should be done with a  1 on 1 mating.

I think someone recorded the seminar and it should be on youtube if you want to watch it.   

By the way, i am no expert. I just take the experts advice use it to help myself and others.

lol thanks yea im no expert either ive had him for a bout a yr now and he has never been mated with any of my hens but was around a yr and a half when i got him so i am guessing he had been mayed before that wow 3 days!!!! thats a fast breakup lol

Back
Top Bottom