Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Can someone tell me what kind of Silky this chick is? It's 1 day old. Mom is a white hen, Poppa is an odd colored Roo I posted a couple weeks ago. Neither parent is show quality, they are pets.

Last edited:

Can someone tell me what kind of Silky this chick is? It's 1 day old. Mom is a white hen, Poppa is an odd colored Roo I posted a couple weeks ago. Neither parent is show quality, they are pets.

It appears to have Partridge markings. It sure is cute
wink.png

That bottom one will probably be similar to mom. :D
I was under the impression they were both carriers but Sonoran will know.
thumbsup.gif
I love the color of that light blue one. I might keep it if it turns to be a female
fl.gif

The base for partridge (e^b) is recessive, so it needs both parents to provide it. However, the e^b base can give a solid coloured bird if sufficient melanizers are added. Pattern gene is dominant, but should also be present in blues, and would not show on an E or E^R black. WHen mama and daddy got together, their genes mixed in a way that caused some partridge babies.
Interesting... I wish I knew more about their background. When I bought my rooster, the breeder told me he came from a black pen... probably not
hmm.png
. I have 20 plus eggs cooking in the incubator from the same duo. After that I will probably separate them. When I read post from people who mix birds from different colors, it seems the partridge gene is always present. I was quite surprised to get partridge from my BBS pen because I thought it was a safe bet like white to white. I was wrong. Thank you.

Cute little chick. It definitely has some partridge gene.

Blue partridge? I purchased one last year...that is what the breeder told me the color was. It was older than yours and its feathers were all mostly in.

If someone can tell me how to add photos I just took some of my two silkies that are few days over 3 months. Their wings have always looks almost stringy to me. I didn't know you trim them, I have had doubts that one of mine could see anymore. I'd love to know more about them and is it too late to get another two? And have them be friends would they ce to accept one another? Should I go with babies or a little older?

If someone can tell me how to add photos I just took some of my two silkies that are few days over 3 months. Their wings have always looks almost stringy to me. I didn't know you trim them, I have had doubts that one of mine could see anymore. I'd love to know more about them and is it too late to get another two? And have them be friends would they ce to accept one another? Should I go with babies or a little older?

You will need to make more posts before you can upload photos. Go over to the "Introduce Yourself" section and post your introduction there and say hi to a bunch of people. Then you can add photos.

I found most birds will get along - once they have established who is top and who is next, etc.. The initial flurries usually settle down quickly. I wouldn't put babies in with the 3 month olds though - unless one decides to "mother" them.

Yes, the wings look stringy, its the hoolkess gene that makes their feathers look like fur - it also makes the wings stringy.

You can trim them - if you don't plan on showing them. If you plan on showing them you can put their crests up in hair tape to keep it out of their eyes.

We look forward to your pictures when you have enough posts.

Back
Top Bottom