Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

Saw your post on FB =) Tell her congrats!... and since you love love love sizzle so much LOL, here is my new sizzle, Chanel! She is SUCH a drama queen and going to be spoiled rotten just like Icelynn haha!

Very pretty colors, is that Partridge on that Siizzle? My Frizzle is a drama queen too. Is Frizzle with regular feathers and Sizzle with Silkie feathers? I am still not real sure on the names on these.

My little Creampuff
love.gif
Awwww
love.gif

Last edited:

These are the two new chicks, light one is Emily and the darker one Matilda they are 6 weeks old. Any thoughts. I am new and trying to learn what is good, not so good etc
[/URL]
The second photo is yesterday's meet and greet
Very cute, Love the puppy as well.... I have a blue Brindle Domino girl "Ophelia" she just turned 2 :) I think there is a sizzle thread here somewhere. You might try there and take some more close up pictures.

Very pretty colors, is that Partridge on that Siizzle? My Frizzle is a drama queen too. Is Frizzle with regular feathers and Sizzle with Silkie feathers? I am still not real sure on the names on these.
Me either haha! But yes she is partridge. She does have silkie feathers underneath the regular frizzled feathers. She has all characteristics of a silkie too, feathered feet, blue skin, blue ears, 5 toes, and a complete drama queen haha! But she does have a funky comb. She also has small muffs and a beard but her crest is lacking. I'm hoping it grows a bit longer, she's only just 3 months. The eggs said sizzle so I think a sizzle is a silkie with frizzled hard feathers and a frizzled silkie is a silkie with frizzled silkie feathers, so more like a silkie with a bad hair day lol!

I'm probably going to breed her with Snow my roo to get some really nice sizzles with big crests!

Last edited:
Hello! I am just now getting in on this thread......and there are have already been 490 pages, wowzers!
Ok, my question is.........Who knows the absolute correct placement of the toes on a perfect Show Quality Silkie? I know there has to be five toes on each foot....feathered out nicely.....but those back toes? should they be more together? (come out in a V) or totally separate?

I did a thread "search" and didn't come up with anything :/

Does anyone know?

Sylvia as a CHICK

Sylvia all GROWN UP
Her toe space looks wonderful! You want a clean V with #4 nail facing forward and #5 nail facing backward. The longest front toe called the "middle toe" should be well feathered. The chick photo is too young to tell but looks good and I can't see the older pic feet.

Last edited:
I have really nice news to share! Lindsey participated in her first show in Sussex NJ and was surprised with several big wins in the open show. She is one happy gal! Still walking around with a big smile. Jamie Matts was very kind to spend time going over Lindsey's silkies, to help educate us. Very enlightening... There were over 750 birds in the show and the silkies had a pretty big class.

Here are Lindsey's placings:
RB - Splash Silkie
BV - Partridge
1st - Partridge
2nd- Partridge
BV - Blue
1st - Blue
BV - Black
BV - Black sizzle
BB - Nankin
RB - Nankin

That's awesome!
big_smile.png

Quote:
lau.gif

Here is what I KNOW about Silkie Genders:

If it lays an egg its a girl
thumbsup.gif

If it crows it might still be a girl
hmm.png

Here are things I have learned on here to tell before you get to the above stage: - un-tested:
idunno.gif

If the beak is a hook = boy, if straighter = girl

If the middle toe (regular 3 toes) is longer = boy, if all same size = girl

If the legs are thicker = boy, if thinner = girl

Boys get "streamers" from the top of their heads that stick out past the floofy head puffs

Boys head puffs usually go back, girls go forward

Boys are usually more forward in attitude , girls hang back.

-----------

Watch your bird. Note all those things. Make a guess. You have a 50/50 chance of being right. If any of this works - let me know!

Last edited:
Anyone know if the BS/BB/BF is a dominant trait?

Farmers only worry during the growing season, but towns people worry all the time.

Back
Top Bottom