Silkie breeding, genetics & showing

im not sure if these cuckoos are excepted yet but i was gonna use her and ill get some of others later as my grandaughter is gonna use some for 4h.Does anyon e know tbe best color to breed her with and does she look like a hen..shes young

Last edited:
This is NY roo named Brownie. I wonder has anyone created a Partridge colored showgirl? If anyone has I would love to see a picture. I just wonder how that color would look!

Hi! I have a few youngsters for ya'll to critique. My kiddo shows silkies and these are some he hatched in early November. He is getting ready to thin out, probably most of them and start over because the color seems off.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
im not sure if these cuckoos are excepted yet but i was gonna use her and ill get some of others later as my grandaughter is gonna use some for 4h.Does anyon e know tbe best color to breed her with and does she look like a hen..shes young

Cuckoos are not an accepted color variety, no. They can be shown but cannot compete beyond Best of Variety.

I would guess that to be a pullet... for now.

You would want to breed with another Cuckoo for 100% Cuckoo offspring. However if you can't locate another Cuckoo you can also breed her to a Black cock and you will get black pullets and single barred males from the pairing. The single barred males wouldn't be appropriate for showing but could be bred back to her to produce more Cuckoos including some correct double barred males that could be shown and bred

Hi! I have a few youngsters for ya'll to critique. My kiddo shows silkies and these are some he hatched in early November. He is getting ready to thin out, probably most of them and start over because the color seems off.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Rooster 1

They're young yet so they have time to fill out type-wise but color does look to be a problem with all three. The first and last look mixed color and middle looks like a Black with leakage. If he's looking at showing seriously he'd definitely want to thin these out.

Cuckoos are not an accepted color variety, no. They can be shown but cannot compete beyond Best of Variety.

I would guess that to be a pullet... for now.

You would want to breed with another Cuckoo for 100% Cuckoo offspring. However if you can't locate another Cuckoo you can also breed her to a Black cock and you will get black pullets and single barred males from the pairing. The single barred males wouldn't be appropriate for showing but could be bred back to her to produce more Cuckoos including some correct double barred males that could be shown and bred
ok thank you so much..

Back
Top Bottom