Silkie burnt head puff on heat plate!

RoosMama

Songster
6 Years
Apr 26, 2017
Livingston County, MI
I just got this Silkie chick and the breeder said it burnt its poof on a heat plate. It does seem that the skin was damaged as well. I didn’t care, it was so cute I couldn’t resist!!🥰(it was the only other unclaimed Silkie she had, aside from the blue I got) It seems perfectly healthy acting otherwise and seems unbothered but it. I did put some ointment on it when we got home. What I am wondering is:
1. Should I continue to put ointment on it?
2. Will the fluff eventually grow back?

Attachments

• D36180A5-670E-47EE-ABB9-F77A6ED20F9B.jpeg
    D36180A5-670E-47EE-ABB9-F77A6ED20F9B.jpeg
    327 KB · Views: 38
I just got this Silkie chick and the breeder said it burnt its poof on a heat plate. It does seem that the skin was damaged as well. I didn’t care, it was so cute I couldn’t resist!!🥰(it was the only other unclaimed Silkie she had, aside from the blue I got) It seems perfectly healthy acting otherwise and seems unbothered but it. I did put some ointment on it when we got home. What I am wondering is:
1. Should I continue to put ointment on it?
2. Will the fluff eventually grow back?
1. if it IS only the fluff (not the skin) that got burnt then i see no need to put ointment on it but i am no trained health professional.

2. you are lucky be cos yes the fluff will grow back, whether it be chick fluff or adult fluff...thats another story! be cos its a silkie and they are all ways fluffy :) (unless its a satin silkie with normal feathers)

Yikes! That poor chick. Sorry, I’m not sure how you would treat that wound. Hopefully someone skilled in full thickness poultry wounds will chime in soon. Is he eating and drinking?

1. if it IS only the fluff (not the skin) that got burnt then i see no need to put ointment on it but i am no trained health professional.

2. you are lucky be cos yes the fluff will grow back, whether it be chick fluff or adult fluff...thats another story! be cos its a silkie and they are all ways fluffy :) (unless its a satin silkie with normal feathers)
The skin does appear to have some damage, I tried ti get a better picture of it before I re-applied the ointment. Don’t mind the greasy face feathers, that was from the ointment!!

Attachments

• 45D650B2-0F48-4B1C-85B5-971CE58C7977.jpeg
    45D650B2-0F48-4B1C-85B5-971CE58C7977.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 8
The skin does appear to have some damage, I tried ti get a better picture of it before I re-applied the ointment. Don’t mind the greasy face feathers, that was from the ointment!!
Poor little babe..that must hurt!
I wonder how a silkie of all chicks managed to burn its head. Heat plates should be not too low...and escapable.

Poor little babe..that must hurt!
I wonder how a silkie of all chicks managed to burn its head. Heat plates should be not too low...and escapable.
I wasn’t aware that they even got that hot, I’ve never used one. I did a quick google search and all I can find are some other larger chicks that got burned in their wings and backs!

Back
Top Bottom