Silkie chick died...

Thechickenchick2

Songster
Mar 15, 2018
Rhode Island
On Thursday I received 12 silkie chicks. I had only paid for 10 but she threw 2 extras in to be sweet in the event of any deaths. Upon arrival all of the chicks were doing great! Everyone was eating and drinking perfectly and got a few drops of nutridrench (over the course that day and yesterday). Friday morning everyone was still doing great! Chirping, eating, drinking - the works. There is no sign of blood, their bums are clean etc. When I got home last night there was one chick that wasn’t doing too well (the tiniest of all). He was lame, and rapidly breathing (not panting as though it was too hot). It’s beak was closed and you could see in between it’s eyes/nostrils rising and falling rapidly (looked like a heart beat almost). It also seemed almost like it couldn’t walk well? Stumbling almost. I held the chick and it would just close its eyes and go limp. I massaged it’s crop which felt a little full but not impacted and I gave him an extra drop of nutridrench and forced a little water. It perked up for a few minutes where it joined its flock mates as they were eating and drinking but then ultimately stumbled away to be alone in the corner. The chick passed over night just as I had suspected... What the heck happened?!

Sorry for your loss. It may have been failure to thrive. Sometimes the smaller ones have some defect internally that we can’t see. It sounds like you did everything right.

Back
Top Bottom