Silkie chick injured pretty badly!!!!!!!

Maddie1215714

Hatching
Jun 9, 2021
Okay so my boyfriends family has been raising chickens for a while, but just recently they got three silkie chicks. A brown one, a white one, and a black one. Me and him have taking a great liking to the black one and it just so happens that it was attacked by grown hens. It’s tail feathers were ripped off, there are feathers missing on its head and on its back. It refuses to walk, or to even raise its neck. It was injured 6/7/21 and has not eaten or drank anything since. I’m calling my veterinarian tomorrow and making an appt, but is there anything I should do until then? I’m not sure if I should try to syringe feed her or not, I don’t want to cause her much more stress. I was thinking of giving her egg hold and some like warm sugar water.

Can you please post some photos?

If she's not had anything to drink in 3 days, yes it would be a good idea to syringe fluids into her - likely hydrated. Sugar water is fine, but if you have Poultry Nutri-Drench then give 2-3 drops twice a day of that too.
Once the chick is hydrated, then offer a little wet soupy chick starter.

Can you please post some photos?

If she's not had anything to drink in 3 days, yes it would be a good idea to syringe fluids into her - likely hydrated. Sugar water is fine, but if you have Poultry Nutri-Drench then give 2-3 drops twice a day of that too.
Once the chick is hydrated, then offer a little wet soupy chick starter.
Excellent timing, as soon as u posted that I got a text. She’s eating and drinking, and also walking again. We gave her a warm bath (no soap) to rinse off the wounds and dirt. Plus now she smells better 😂

Back
Top Bottom