Silkie Chick Peronalities (PICS)

paceysgl5

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 20, 2011
Taunton,MA
Not sure where to post this ??

I have 2 grey silkies that are currently 8 days old. I keep reading about how docile silkies are, but these two are more afraid of us than most of the others (for example, when we visit the brooder, the BO's, SLW, EE's all run forward to say hi and check us out, the silkies rarely leave the back of the brooder until we've been there for quite a while. They squeal LOUDLY - louder than any other chicks - when we pick them up (gently of course). And they run, very speedy little buggers. I'm worried about their personalities since they don't seem to fit the mold of everyone saying how sweet their silkies are. So I'm wondering if this could possibly be roo behavior or if they are just too young right now and they should get sweeter with age?

Here's some pics for ya -

Grey Silkies - Ginny (yellow top of head) and Gaby (yellow streaked w/ black top of head)

4 Days Old:

180955_602721674121_35002133_34621504_1399748_n.jpg

1 Week Old:

184211_602722228011_35002133_34621519_4009929_n.jpg

1 Week Old:

180912_602722237991_35002133_34621520_8357446_n.jpg

mine all seem to be very docile so i think its just chicks because my roo is also very friendly but my splash chick will run i think its cause there chicks

79428_009.jpg

79428_008.jpg

Look at it from the birds point of view: They are tiny and susceptible to predation, you are large with big teeth and eyes.

They're chicks, wait until they are older, then you'll see the calm, docile birds you were expecting. Just treat them gently and don't force it.

Interesting that you mention this. Just this morning I was musing about how docile and sweet my silkie chicks are that I am hatching from my birds. I also found this to be true of chicks that I hatched from one other breeder's eggs.

However, when we first started hatching silkies over 3 years ago, the first chicks I had FREAKED OUT...all the time....about everything. They did settle down as they got older.

Perhaps it is a disposition related observation that is a genetic issue...???
roll.png

I think it also depends on the positioning of the brooder. If I have the brooder on the floor they are a bit more nervous, now that I have a brooder rack and I'm not leaning over them they are more relaxed. I also think they go through stages. Give them time, I really don't think it is disposition.

The first silkies I had were from a hatchery and they were not as friendly as the silkies I have now (which came from hatching eggs off Ebay).

I think there is a difference in temperment that is genetic.

However, I have found that I cannot judge a chicken's personality from when it is a chick. I have had VERY friendly hens who as chicks just ran from us.

Hmm thanks for all the replies!! Seems I'm gett mixed responses but it'll be a wait-and-see game. It'll also be interesting because over the weekend (hopefully) i'll be getting 2 white silkie chicks from a local breeder. Maybe they will really show a difference compared to our grey silkie hatchery chicks...who knows! Interesting to hear the different perspectives though.

thanks i realy enjoy them i wish they could live in the house such dosile birds are your from a breeder or hatchery? you gotta love the furballs
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom