Silkie Chick Sickly - HELP!!

GypsyRevivals

Hatching
May 18, 2016
Hi,

I am a first time grandma as far as having a hen raise babies and have a sick little one. She was broody and sitting on non-fertilized eggs, so I got her four from our local farm where my hen came from as well. They hatched Saturday, so currently 5 days old. All is well with the exception of the silkie chick; I know this breed is more fragile in general but I am not sure what to do! I've read SO MANY forums here and sought answers from internet research, so I'm sorry if this is redundant. I guess I just want specific advice so I don't feel so alone and helpless!

First, I can't determine what is wrong with him. Initially I thought it was wry neck, but now he seems to be holding his head up and not tumbling over backwards. Now I think he might have splayed feet or just be weak in general. The other three chicks are a Lavender Orp & 2 Swedish Flowers. They are twice his size if not more and eating/drinking/hopping on mom, etc. All he wants to do is stay underneath mama and chirps VERY loudly if left on his own or out in the open, non-stop. No attempts at eating or drinking or his own. I have removed him several times and given him a dropper with water, vitamin e, selenium and poly-visol mix. Have also gotten him to drink some water with electrolytes. He drinks when coaxed and seems to swallow fine.

My questions are:

How often do I need to be doing this and how much solution specifically should I be trying to get down each time?

Should I separate him from the mom and other babies (terrified he's going to get smashed/suffocated/picked on/etc) or just take and feed him and return him daily? I have a heat lamp/cage set up, but I've put him in there briefly and he seems very distressed. I don't want to make it worse & I also don't want the mom/other babies to think I'm the enemy.

Thanks so much for any help!
I'm calling him Sprout, poor little one :(

Welcome to BYC. I would dip his beak into electrolyte water a few times every hour. Then show him food and dip his beak. Then place him back under the broody. That is about all you can do. He will either perk up or not. If you take him away from the broody, and place him in a brooder, I doubt if she will accept him later, and he will be attacked by her and the other chicks. Hopefully, he just needs an extra boost. Poultry Nutri-drench 1/2 ml daily by mouth would be good for him, and then you could just give him plain water. Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom