Silkie cochin mix

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by goldenyolk, Sep 10, 2009.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Ok, so a sizzle is any breed crossed with a silkie? And these have been acceted into the APA (Walkswithdog, you were talking about standards...)?

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    A group of breeders are developing a standard now - basically adopting the silkie standard with the Sizzle type feathering, also reflecting an acceptance of smooth birds since we need them to keep it all going. And since we're just developing the breed I figure I might be able to wedge in a color not in silkies - birchen.

LOL and today I got a birchen serama pair and the wheels are spinning a bit... boy I'd lose wing set..... but...

3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

so a sizzle is any breed crossed with a silkie?

when you combine either a silky feathered bird and a normal feathered bird, or a silkie and a bird already frizzled - frizzles or sizzles are your result.
    Sizzles are a new breed, basically the goal is a bird with silkie features- the walnut comb, the dark skin/face, blue ears, five toes, feathered feets - to the third toe, but curled, normal feathers.

This does not seem to make sense. Presuming a sizzle needs to have frizzle feathers, then it cannot be made by breeding a silkie to just any normal feathered bird.

In order to get frizzle feathers you will need to breed to a bird carrying a frizzle gene.

Hookless or silkie feathering (h) & frizzle (F) genes are not alleles & are inherited independently.

The chicks from the cross described by the OP ought to be sex linked; pullets offspring ought to be dark skinned & males light skinned.​

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Quote:A Sizzle is not any breed crossed with a Silkie. It is a Frizzled Cochin crossed with a Silkie. Future matings can be Smooth or Frizzled Sizzles to each other or Sizzle to Silkie. The goal is to create a Silkie type bird with regular feathers. The standards we are working on in developing a breed that is yet to be accepted by the ABA will for the most part meet the Silkie standards with only one exception and that is feathers.

5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:
    when you combine either a silky feathered bird and a normal feathered bird, or a silkie and a bird already frizzled - frizzles or sizzles are your result.
    Sizzles are a new breed, basically the goal is a bird with silkie features- the walnut comb, the dark skin/face, blue ears, five toes, feathered feets - to the third toe, but curled, normal feathers.

This does not seem to make sense. Presuming a sizzle needs to have frizzle feathers, then it cannot be made by breeding a silkie to just any normal feathered bird.

In order to get frizzle feathers you will need to breed to a bird carrying a frizzle gene.

Hookless or silkie feathering (h) & frizzle (F) genes are not alleles & are inherited independently.

The chicks from the cross described by the OP ought to be sex linked; pullets offspring ought to be dark skinned & males light skinned.​

I thought sizzles needed the frizzle gene - hence the "sizzle" naming. Just mixing breeds isn't necessarily making a new breed (at least not to me anyway [​IMG]). If you don't stick to a certain comination, how can you ever make a standard? I'd think different breeds would offer different charachteristics to the combination. I understand needing smooth birds so you don't have frizzle on frizzle. It was just that I thought a sizzle was a silkie frizzle cross. I'm not even talking about what standards they should meet... [​IMG]

6. goldenyolk

goldenyolk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    Amherst Nova Scotia
    wow now don't I feel silly, I was looking for frizzles and little did I know I was making them, lolololol however I am sooo excited at the thought that I have little frizzles, hehe I willl have to take some picture soo for you guys to see, they DO have-5 toes, feathered feet, dark skin, two are looks like buff on top of black with one of them with a pattern on its back, and way toooo cute.
    I have had heritage bird for a while but not silkies or did any crosses. wow so much to learn.

[​IMG]

I am addicted!![​IMG]

7. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

I was looking for frizzles and little did I know I was making them,

If your chicks are silkie male on normal cochin hen then your chicks aren't going to be frizzles. [​IMG] They would need the frizzle gene in order to be frizzles. Unfortunately they won;t be sizzles either. In order to be classified sizzles, I believe, they would need to breed true to type in the parameters of the what is possible for the genes (i.e. frizzle needs to be heterozygous) & fit the decription for silkies in all except feathering???
    I'm afraid your chicks will be crossbreeds. Nothing more. Sorry. [​IMG]

But they will be pretty sex links.[​IMG]

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Weird...

Cuz if you cross a cochin, with a silkie you get - some frizzled birds, some smooth and some silkied, those birds are f1 sizzles. Then you use the Sizzled (frizzled) and the smooth, and you get more Sizzles, more smooths and more silkies and some curlie silkies sometimes.

Move up and down the ladder... pushing for silkie type shape, and facial and foot features, and a good topknot.

You breed two Sizzles (frizzles) you get some with two doses - not good, and the rest Sizzled.

If I add silkie back in... I get the scattered assortment of Sizzled, smooth, silkie and frilkie - curly silkie.

Because my pet f4 has a face/comb fault - he's single combed and red faced, I'll be breeding him back to black or blue silkies. Here he is this week...

[​IMG]

Some of his progeny will be Sizzles or smooths or silkies hopefully with his coloring.

And I then I keep moving toward the Sizzle standard with the group.

Something in silkie to cochin makes frizzle. I'm no geneticist - I just watch it work.

9. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    Quote:Hi Krys109uk,

Which ones (cochin or silkie) will be males/females in the first generation?

10. goldenyolk

goldenyolk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    Amherst Nova Scotia
    thanks for all the info guys, gessshh now I am really confussed. [​IMG] guess I'll have to wait and see when they get bigger.

Anyone else with info on frizzles, I am a sucker for punishment. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by