Silkie cockerel or pullet? 3 months old

Pics
I
Yeah that's really interesting!
I don't have an adult rooster, so I don't know what reactions my Babette/Kasimir would have caused in adults. From his behaviour towards us and his hatchmates we really were confinced him to be a pullet - he likes being taken up and hold and insists on it, is talkative (always chattering and communicating with 'tiiiiii' sounds) and loves interaction (we once had visitors and Babette sat for hours on the arm of the man). He sometimes had arguments with a pullet - but when getting in conflict with Sindbad or Snowman he reacted like the pullets react in such a case.
But - he was always the biggest and heaviest 'pullet'. And leg length, leg fluff and body posture was kind of compareable to Snowman's, especially watched from behind. And 'her' eyes and look were kind of similar to Snowman's, but because of the fluffy crest this was not present.
Only several days before the crowing started I showed my parents that little Babette got a mulberry colored comb and tiny wattles...
- picture of when we still thought Babette to be a girl:
View attachment 2784581
I do have a hen that has a huge comb and wattles and super extra fluffy crest so these traits may pass down to generations which will make it harder to identify offspring genders. Other hens I have have large combs too, just my 9 year old hen has a small comb and wattles.

My vote is cockerel. That comb and tail don't lie. He is just a submissive roo right now, hence the others treating him like a hen.

He is bearded, so you won't see any significant wattles.

Why don't you split your flock into hens and roos, and put the bachelor flock together. In the absence of hens they are less likely to fight once they've established their new pecking order.

You can sort out a breeding pen for when you want to breed and select boys and girls to go in it as a temporary pen.

Are those streamers? 😳

Attachments

• 9E845BFA-508A-4C10-8ED7-651484A9B514.jpeg
    9E845BFA-508A-4C10-8ED7-651484A9B514.jpeg
    473.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom