Silkie colors...

silkiemelon

Songster
7 Years
Apr 11, 2012
Washington
These are my new baby silkie chicks (4 weeks old), and I'm wondering what colors they are.

Generally not sure with this one. Blue? Splash? Grey? It looks grey, but the eggs I hatched weren't supposed to be grey silkies.

I was thinking black at first for this one, but he/she gradually got lighter and has a white stripe going down its neck/belly.
???

Any ideas?

The top one looks like it may be lavender. The bottom one looks blue, but the white on the neck and belly throws me. My blue silkie started off on the light side, then she darkened up to full on blue.

Can you tell me what color my silkie chick might be when it gets older? I'm new to chickens and the proud momma to 10 silkie chicks, 4 white 2 that I think are partridge the little one in the picture and 3 more that look to be buff or red. Not sure what colors they are mom and dad were pets and ran free, they were black, red, white, splash, partridge, chicks could be any color of the rainbow.

Last edited:
It looks partridge to me.
Only partridge silkies usually start out with those markings, and they can vary in shades.
When mine was a chick it was fairly light, like yours.

Can partridge silkies be light and dark colored as chicks and turn out the same as adults? The reason I ask is I have 2 chicks that are a lot darker then this one but has the same markings These are 2 of my chicks that I was talking about. Will they be the same color as the lighter one? I have never seen a light colored partridge before.

Top two are blue. Lavender is much lighter and both parents would have to be lavender or lavender splits to have lavender chicks.

I think the rest will be partridge.

Yes, like I said before, partridge silkies can vary in shades.

For instance, these are both adult partridge silkies, just different shades. Perfectly normal to have different kinds.
p1000056.jpg
p1000514.jpg

Last edited:
Back to the original pic/question,
I think the top one looks grey. Or maybe a gray partridge (it could have been a mix up with eggs).
The bottom one looks blue to me, but the stripe does throw me off.

When they feather out more it should be easier to tell their coloring.

Back
Top Bottom