Silkie comb, male?

Jes78b

Chirping
Oct 26, 2018
20181102_070351.jpg

Had anyone had experience with Rural King silkies? All of mine seem to have different combs. Idk what could be in the mix there? Do you think it might be male or female ? I'll keep posting pics of the others as I get time, and service, lol! Thanks in advance!
Oh he's 4 weeks old (almost)

View attachment 1578660
Had anyone had experience with Rural King silkies? All of mine seem to have different combs. Idk what could be in the mix there? Do you think it might be male or female ? I'll keep posting pics of the others as I get time, and service, lol! Thanks in advance!
Oh he's 4 weeks old (almost)
That is standard hatchery quality (where ALL feed stores get theirs) for Silkies... and not the worst I have seen.

Likely cockerel. :love

Now that some time has past, I'm certain this a roo.I have some new pics that I'll upload soon so you can see the difference too. It's just fun to watch them change. I just did a treatment on all of them for coccididsis. I'm pretty sure two (of six) had it, probably from day one. Now I'm starting the vitamins thanks recommended after treatment with Corid. I wonder should treat all my chickens, just be safe?
The silkies have been the most difficult birds I've raised so far. Very demanding, very smelly, and too darn cute to not love completely, even tho 4 of the six would rather me leave them be.
So I have two roo's for sure, and two pullets, and two undecided (which I hope are pullets).
These Cockerels are so mean, is there anything I can do calm these feisty fellas? One of girls have brain damage surely due to all the blows to the head (they are seperate now).

I just did a treatment on all of them for coccididsis. I'm pretty sure two (of six) had it, probably from day one.
Chicks cannot be born with coccidiosis. The coccidia oocysts (eggs) that are in every single chicken poo must first be sporulated and have excess amounts ingested causing a bloom... Taking not less than 4 days before symptoms start to show... most likely to happen in warm humid places similar to that of a brooder. Easiest spread by dropping getting in the water... but I have seen chicks take a drink directly from their hatch mates waste. :sick

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

It will effect the weaker birds first. All have individual immune systems.

These Cockerels are so mean, is there anything I can do calm these feisty fellas?
We send them to freezer camp here. :drool Life is too short for mean birds, Silkies included. Surprisingly the Silkie cockerels are often bigger jerks than my large fowl boys. It's like they got little man syndrome or something. :hmm

Look forward to the new pics. :pop

silkies have been the most difficult birds I've raised so far. Very demanding, very smelly, and too darn cute to not love
My daughter and I found the lighter ones to stink a bit more than the darker Silkies. Maybe they have more poo stuck to foot feathers that other birds do not... and then scratching themselves, spreading the smell onto their bodies... Broody makes it worse!

I don't treat all chickens unless there is a reason to... like pasture conditions being too crowded or endless rain in a warm location type thing. But it won't hurt them if you choose to treat. I just try not to over use thing so that resistance doesn't become an issue when I really need it to work. But you should do what you think is best with the information you have. If you learn something new in the future, switch it up. :)

Chicks cannot be born with coccidiosis. The coccidia oocysts (eggs) that are in every single chicken poo must first be sporulated and have excess amounts ingested causing a bloom... Taking not less than 4 days before symptoms start to show... most likely to happen in warm humid places similar to that of a brooder. Easiest spread by dropping getting in the water... but I have seen chicks take a drink directly from their hatch mates waste. :sick

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

Yes, Its my fault; I built a "super brooder", for my "fancy chickens" and it's very nice (for chicks I suppose), just one mistake I made when I installed the water nipples into the PVC caused a small, occasional drip into the cabinet. You know the rest....warm, moist, hatching, eating. I first thought it was the shavings, then after removing them, moving the birds inside, and a small amount of research-my mistake was evident. I think the girls got it first, then the roo pictured in OP, so I just treated the 6 silkies, even though I only had 3 exhibiting symptoms.

We send them to freezer camp here. :drool Life is too short for mean birds, Silkies included. Surprisingly the Silkie cockerels are often bigger jerks than my large fowl boys. It's like they got little man syndrome or something. :hmm

I should have took them today. They were so rambunctious.
Pip is the bully! Jeez a pete, I wish he'd give it a rest. I've never eaten a silkie before, but we've been discussing his fate.

My daughter and I found the lighter ones to stink a bit more than the darker Silkies. Maybe they have more poo stuck to foot feathers that other birds do not... and then scratching themselves, spreading the smell onto their bodies... Broody makes it worse!

I don't treat all chickens unless there is a reason to... like pasture conditions being too crowded or endless rain in a warm location type thing. But it won't hurt them if you choose to treat. I just try not to over use thing so that resistance doesn't become an issue when I really need it to work. But you should do what you think is best with the information you have. If you learn something new in the future, switch it up. :)
Thanks for your reply post! Long day (chicken life, lol) and it was nice to hear some positive advise and experience.
Hope to get pictures uploaded soon - Jess

So

I'm so bad at navigating this site. My reply is actually inside the quote box Sorry.....
I thought how you replied to each section was so cool, I tried to copy your skills....and failed. Lol - have a good one!

So

I'm so bad at navigating this site. My reply is actually inside the quote box Sorry.....
I thought how you replied to each section was so cool, I tried to copy your skills....and failed. Lol - have a good one!
You will get it! I remember being so impressed by helpful links provided I worked hard to learn how to do that. :thumbsup

"Yes, Its my fault;"

Even if that is technically true... I don't point fingers. Chicken keeping and different environments does have a bit of a learning curve. We ALL make mistakes... and yes, I have given my chicks coccidiosis before. What is key is that we learn and adjust if we can. :)

"I've never eaten a silkie before, but we've been discussing his fate."

Since it won't quote from inside the response I just copy, pasted, and bolded what I wanted to quote... :p

Anyways... if you aren't averse to eating your own birds... Silkies do dress just fine for the table. I have several that will be heading that way today.

You mention Silkies being your most difficult breed yet... You haven't even dealt with broodyness yet? After several years of passionately breeding for quality Silkies... they broke me with all their broodiness (and lack of smarts compared to other breeds) and I no longer raise them. And yes they were sometimes one of the hardest breeds I hatched. But oh such cute little fluffers. :love

Back
Top Bottom