Silkie Confused

ShelleyMyers

Hatching
Jun 23, 2019
Well..... we thought we had a female until she crowed today and im aware hens do crow also. No spurs so im a bit confused. My silkie blue is not bigger than the others, no spurs, no streamers.
20190614_190654.jpg
20190617_201910.jpg

Cockerel I'm afraid :( unless your keeping him then :yesss:

He has the same amount of streamers as my Silkie Cockerel. My boys are very short but he does have them. However, I've also had females that have had streamer like feathers on their head so I don't rely on streamers for sexing unless they are very long and visible.

Also, my Silkie cockerel's spurs are only just beginning to develop, although some never get them anyways.

Female Silkies rarely have a comb and wattles that large plus he appears to have the more pointy hackle/neck feathers.

Doesn't he look any different to your other hens at all?

Here's some photos of my Cockerel who is quite a feminine looking Cockerel.
You can see he has a very similar crest to yours and also has no spurs despite being a mature male.

IMG_8848.JPG

IMG_8849.JPG

IMG_8851.JPG

Last edited:
Wow he's beautiful
Cockerel I'm afraid :( unless your keeping him then :yesss:

He has the same amount of streamers as my Silkie Cockerel. My boys are very short but he does have them. However, I've also had females that have had streamer like feathers on their head so I don't rely on streamers for sexing unless they are very long and visible.

Also, my Silkie cockerel's spurs are only just beginning to develop, although some never get them anyways.

Female Silkies rarely have a comb and wattles that large plus he appears to have the more pointy hackle/neck feathers.

Doesn't he look any different to your other hens at all?

Here's some photos of my Cockerel who is quite a feminine looking Cockerel.
You can see he has a very similar comb to yours and also has no spurs despite being a mature male.

View attachment 1823462
View attachment 1823465
View attachment 1823469

Back
Top Bottom