Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics
It's now a couple days old and its legs are turning dark. Could it be a girl?

i have a white male silkie crossed with female milles the chicks are beastly they are feather footed white with black pencling

I have read that if the chick has black skin like a silkie it's a girl. I have some Cochin/Silkies that are pink skinned that are boys. Is this true for large breeds too? I have some that just hatched that are silkie/Easter egger mix.

I'm going to be keeping an eye on this sex linked skin color thing. I had 2 frizzled Cochin/Silkie mixes hatch the other day and both of them have very black skin. Dad is a Silkie, mom is a frizzled Cochin. So, if the skin color theory holds true, they'd both be girls, right?
I've hatched alot of Silkie mixes in the past, and now that I think about it, I remember the hens having dark skin. I have a bunch more of these mixes due to hatch under my broody hens over the next month. I was going to sell all of the chicks, but now I think I may hold onto them long enough to see who turns out to be what....

Last edited:
i have hatched one silkie cross chick im not sure what the mother is but the chick is pretty cute .. here she is
200x200px-ZC-97bf7e16_100_5069.jpeg
you can sorta see her leg feathers im not sure what the mother is i know the father its a grey silkie .. im pretty sure hes grey

I'm going to be keeping an eye on this sex linked skin color thing. I had 2 frizzled Cochin/Silkie mixes hatch the other day and both of them have very black skin. Dad is a Silkie, mom is a frizzled Cochin. So, if the skin color theory holds true, they'd both be girls, right?
I've hatched alot of Silkie mixes in the past, and now that I think about it, I remember the hens having dark skin. I have a bunch more of these mixes due to hatch under my broody hens over the next month. I was going to sell all of the chicks, but now I think I may hold onto them long enough to see who turns out to be what....
I know that my silkie/cochins boys all have light skin. My girls all had black skin. I'm just wondering if it still true with large chickens as well. If it is then I now have 3 silkie/easter egger girls and 1 boy.

It should hold true for the larger birds. My past Silkie mix hens were Silkie/EE. The hens had dark skin, the roosters light and all the girls laid light blue or green eggs!

Back
Top Bottom