Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics

So excited to have found this thread! I raise silkie x rhode island reds and simply adore them! They are egg laying machines, giving me about six eggs each per week. Most have the classical silkie feathers, while two, like the one above, have a soft version of normal feathers. They all have six toes and carry the splash gene, and have the silkie's sweet personality!
YAY! So glad to read that...My silkies are crossed with good egg laying breeds so hoping they produce like that. :)

I have this SilkieXWyandotte chook that I suspect is a roo due to the very bright comb.

We also sent this SilkieX LF Cochin to freezer camp thursday. The meat has been resting in the fridge since then. Do yall think thats long enough?

I would suspect he's a little cockerel as well.

When we butcher, I let them rest in the fridge in a salt brine for 24 hours, then we cook 'em up. Yours should be good to go by now :)

I would suspect he's a little cockerel as well.

When we butcher, I let them rest in the fridge in a salt brine for 24 hours, then we cook 'em up. Yours should be good to go by now :)

Thank you so much :)
I work nights and sleep days, so I accidently overslept. Oops! We'll cook him tomorrow.
I also love the blue hue the meat has!

Would anyone be interested in some cross eggs? My hens have been laying like crazy, and I already have chicks from them this year.

This was my silkie roo - Cynder - who mated with one of my Buff Orph
and fathered Hank (below).
Hank & his brother Cotton, have similar coloring, Cotton has a bit more
splash of black on his chest. Both have black feathered feet, no 5th toe,
Cotton also has a large walnut comb, bigger than Hank's.
Hank is 1/3 taller & bigger than Cotton. Both have orange/yellow eyes.

Cynder also mated with one of my NH Red's, and we got Lollypop (below),
she has the dark eyes, black skin, no 5th toe. She is about the size of a Silkie hen, very sweet, when she is not broody.
Lollypop is now sitting on a clutch of EE eggs, so if all goes well, in 2 weeks we should have chicks.
Am curious to see what color the chicks will be, we have 2 EE that are olive eggers, similar coloring as Lollypop.
My other EE are white with a slash of red/gold on her chest, Gray with a splash of red/gold on her wings. And black with splash
of burnt orange all over. They all have slate legs. And then there is my little Banty hen.

Hank is the Father of this chick (below), Mamma is a little black Banty.
This is Puffles, and as you can see, he got his Grandpa's silkie feathers.
Out of the 4 chicks that hatched, this was the only one that came out Silkie.
2 had the dark eyes, 2 had the pea combs, 3 had the black skin, none had the 5th toe.
Puffles can not fly, and has long legs. (pic taken at 6 weeks)

Am curious, if this little one (Puffles) turns out to be a roo, and mates with a hen
who does not have any Silkie in her, will the Silkie gene be so diluted, that the silkie feathers
will not come through.

Just thought of something? Because Dad is 1/2 silkie, and Mom was a Banty, would the silkie feathers come though.
Or could have this been one of Lollypop's eggs, and that is why the silkie feathers only came out in this chick?
Hank, Cotton & Lollypop are 1/2 siblings, same Dad, different Moms.

Phew, I finally caught up!

Hello, all! I Recently I was looking for some EE's & someone had a Silkee X EE (Which I call SilkEEs!) so I wondered if anyone else would have something like this & what the chicks would end up looking like.

I only have one pic right now but I'll upload more this week. Here's the first:

The father is EE brownish (I saw a small fuzzy photo) & the mother is some colour of silkie (never saw her). I think this is a little girl. She is incredibly sweet, cuddly & quiet. Her skin, along with her legs are very dark. She's not as yellow as in the photo, she appears much more silver-grey.

I also have a buff-coloured and a chipmunk coloured silkie X. Father is brownish EE. More pics to come later this week!

So I wanted to add an update on my SilkEEs. Unfortunately the people who sold the chicks to us, didn't tell us they were sick (cocci). We saved 3 out of 5 using natural treatment. I'm happy to say the littlest one, the pic I posted earlier, survived. So I have a couple update photos of her & her siblings:

She's in the middle at 3 weeks old. (Her name is Yogurt. Garlic is on the left, Clove on the right.)

Here she is today at 5 weeks. She's in the middle & looking VERY MUCH like an American Robin (although she's getting more orange on her back lately). Other two chicks are in the same position as the above photo.

These three SilkEEs are the sweetest, most loving & intelligent chickens I have ever owned, even counting the first ones I raised 24/7 as a kid 20+ years ago. They are so loving I really wish we could keep them inside as house chickens, but it just won't work for us, so by next Spring they'll end up with the rest of the flock. Which is alright 'cause everyone gets pretty spoiled on our little farm.

So I wanted to add an update on my SilkEEs. Unfortunately the people who sold the chicks to us, didn't tell us they were sick (cocci). We saved 3 out of 5 using natural treatment. I'm happy to say the littlest one, the pic I posted earlier, survived. So I have a couple update photos of her & her siblings:

She's in the middle at 3 weeks old. (Her name is Yogurt. Garlic is on the left, Clove on the right.)

Here she is today at 5 weeks. She's in the middle & looking VERY MUCH like an American Robin (although she's getting more orange on her back lately). Other two chicks are in the same position as the above photo.

These three SilkEEs are the sweetest, most loving & intelligent chickens I have ever owned, even counting the first ones I raised 24/7 as a kid 20+ years ago. They are so loving I really wish we could keep them inside as house chickens, but it just won't work for us, so by next Spring they'll end up with the rest of the flock. Which is alright 'cause everyone gets pretty spoiled on our little farm.

They are so cute. I have an updated picture of my SilkEE, good name for them by the way.

Her name is Twiggs and she is the softest thing I have ever touched and can fly high and far, better than any chicken we have.

She is the size of my other silkie hen.

3 days ago she laid her first egg and it looked like a silkie egg.

Back
Top Bottom